Wind barrier for garden

Dolan Springs, AZ(Zone 9a)

I'm either going to find a way to protect our garden from the wind or just give up! And of course that's not an option. So does anybody know of a nice thick shrub, or even a multitrunk tree I could top off, that would be dense enough to stop 30- 50+ mph winds? I can plant them as close to the raised bed as necessary, and I just need something about five feet high. I'm at 4000 ft, if that helps or matters.
Here's a pic of the situation right now.
Oh, and I need it yesterday! :-b
And I still don't understand why my pics load sideways

Thumbnail by Mountaindweller
Gilbert, AZ

Hey Mountaindweller, am I correct in thinking your garden will be inside the structure pictured?

Yes, that's covered in chicken wire. The raised bed inside is 20 feet long and about three feet deep, with a grey water line running underneath. The wind generally blows worst from the south, which is the direction the picture is facing. I just need something to plant along that side of the structure to buffer the wind.
I'm pretty proud of that door... It's a HD trellis my Hubby welded to hinges :-)

Here's a better pic

Thumbnail by Mountaindweller
Glendale, AZ(Zone 9b)

Mountaindweller. I know the area of Dolan Springs having been raised in Kingman. I am also familiar with the winds up there. NONE STOP. Or so it seems.
Oddly enough, many of the names of plants that might be used as a wind barrier have flown right out of my head since reading your post. They will return. I have faith. lol
The ones that I would suggest may or may not survive the cooler winters you have, but lets have a go at it and you can make the decision.
Have you considered using a nice thick vine such as a honey suckle to cover the sides? Or planting a privet hedge down the side. I also like the Duranta plant. They get thick depending on how you cut them and they can take the heat and sun. Not too sure about the cold. Mine sometimes freeze back even down here, but withing weeks of warmer days, they have recovered nicely. They grow quickly and have a really nice purple or white bloom on them much the shape of lavendar bushes. They also don't require a great deal of water.
There are several types of "Evergreens" that grow well up there and they can be kept under control with prunning and shaping. Some are very thick and dense.
I'll try to retrieve the memory and get back with you on some of the other things possible. Hope this gives you a place to start.

Thanks, cactusjumper-that wouldn't have come from living with chollas would it? :-)
I'm not familiar with duranta, I'll check that one out. The problem with the vines is the sun-I need the windbreak on the south side, so I need to keep the height in check. I was thinking privet, but my one experience with that plant makes me think that it is too slow growing. Low growing evergreens should be good, I think I can prune them to thicken them.
I have an upright rosemary that is one of the few plants I brought out that is thriving, let alone survived. I'm thinking a row of those planted close could be the answer. I haven't seem a lot of euonymous (sp?) out here, but they were used often in SoCal.
Thanks again.

Glendale, AZ(Zone 9b)

Some further suggestions to choose from depending on the type.

Arbovitae
Juniper (Cedar)
Boxwood

There were two plants that I recently was looking at that STILL have not come back to my memory of what they were. I'll keep working on it. lol

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.