CAN YOU HAVE TOO MUCH SUN FOR A CARYOPTERIS???

Nashville, TN

I bought the "Lil' Miss Sunshine" variety of the Caryopteris at 75% off on the back lot of a reputable nursery at the end of last summer/beginning of fall. It had few leaves and was a bit pitiful, but once planted in my garden, flowered prolifically until the first frost despite having almost no leaves. I was impressed with stamina of the lovely purplish-blue flowers which attracted many bumble bee pollinators despite being a practically discarded plant at the nursery. I was very pleased to find it sprouting beautiful yellow leaves this spring after a particularly long and cold winter here in Nashville (zone 6b/7). It is planted in an extremely sunny site in compost amended clay soil. Suddenly (literally overnight!) the majority of the leaves look withered and burned! Nashville can get very hot and humid during the summer, but it has not gotten particularly hot yet (on the worst day maybe low 80's but mostly 60's and 70's). The new foliage at the base of the plant (more protected from the sun I suppose) is still blooming beautifully in it's yellow splendor. I do not understand why a plant that is supposed to prefer hot, dry conditions with full sun would suddenly turn brown as if burned. I know the soil is not dry and sandy, but it is relatively loamy with its amendments. This recent turn of events was so sudden, it is hard to imagine that it would be a soil problem anyway. I am thinking that I should try to replant it in a location that receives less afternoon sun, but I am wondering if anyone else has had trouble with this plant burning? The plant seemed like it was going to be a real winner, but I am a bit confounded about this recent turn of events. If anyone has any thoughts, knowledge, or suggestions, I would love to hear from you. Thanks!

Read more: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/addcomment.php#ixzz2zhg1NUsj

Thumbnail by freewill222 Thumbnail by freewill222 Thumbnail by freewill222 Thumbnail by freewill222 Thumbnail by freewill222
Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Brief overnight frost can "burn" newly emerged foliage.

I don't think moving the plant is called for. Prune off what you think is objectionable, and then get out of its way.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.