Is this winterburn?

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

This is Juniperus scopulorum 'Whichita Blue'. Some of the foliage tips have turned a light pink, which I hope is obvious to you. Is it common for them to show pink winter damage, perhaps because of their glaucousness?

Thumbnail by Pseudo Thumbnail by Pseudo
Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Is that the same as the Whichita State Shockers that UK knocked out of the NCAA tournament...

I think that color is due to glaucoma - yours.

It is normal for many Juniperus sp. foliage to discolor due to exposure to low winter temps and wind dessication. There are more than a few here that gain some of that purplishness (not so much pink) for a few winter months, and then freshen up to their normal green with the onset of spring growth activity.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

While I'm not a fan of many of the variegated junipers and chamaecyparis, I do like my juniperus chinensis torulosa variegata. I don't have a very good picture of it (this one is the only one I can find and it doesn't do the plant justice; it's next to a dwarf pinus sylvestris Moseri). I noticed this past harsh winter burned specifically the yellow foliage, not the green. So this spring my plant is a brown & green variegate, not so nice. I'm hoping the yellow foliage freshens up soon!

Thumbnail by Weerobin

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.