Japanese Maple question

Richland, WA(Zone 7b)

I have a beautiful Bloodgood JM of which I just found 3 seedlings- they are potted up in 3" pots-all are about 2" tall with their 1st pair of true leaves. They are looking great- what can I expect from them for growth, and what care do they need? At this time they are in the greenhouse at night and in filtered sun during the day-I protect them from any winds or cold. I really want these guys to make it and thrive. All help is appreciated. Thanks-

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I've potted up dozens of JM seedlings over the years.
Here's a batch of them from one of the past few years.
I have already noticed a big crop of seedlings scattered in my yard again this year.
The remarkable variability of the species is readily apparent in the seedlings.
My favorite is a very pretty linearilobum which was just a random seedling.
I recall being super careful with the first one or two,
but now that I have seedlings all over the place every year,
I no longer fret about losing an occasional one.
Most of them survive and I stick them around my wooded lot.
Takes a few yrs of potting them up to grow them to suitable size to make it on their own.
I don't have a greenhouse, but I stick them in the garage to overwinter first couple years.
I don't fertilize them. I sometimes put some water-absorbing crystals in with the potting soil
to prevent the little pots from desiccating to rapidly.

Thumbnail by Weerobin
Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

JM seedlings are a great surprise waiting to happen. Because they are almost always grafted there is no telling what the seedlings will look like when they finally grow. This is how a great many of the JM's varieties started.

These are tree seedlings and it sounds like they started in the yard. I leave mine in pots in the yard, no special treatment. There are about a dozen I will plant out this spring who have come to size after several years.

Have fun.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.