ID From Bark and Buds

East Bridgewater, MA

I really liked this one. Is there any chance this is a blooming Katsura Tree? This is purely a wishful thinking guess. :)

Thumbnail by neefman Thumbnail by neefman Thumbnail by neefman Thumbnail by neefman Thumbnail by neefman
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Yep, Katsura; not sure if flowering, or just coming into leaf.

Resin

East Bridgewater, MA

Sweet! Thanks for all your help today Resin. :)

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I was strolling through the Bailey Arboretum on Long Island today.
There was a whole grove of katsuras, a couple of them were absolutely gigantic.
They were all coming into leaf which fresh green leaves backlit by the sun.
It was as beautiful as any spring flowering tree.

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

Quote from Weerobin :
I was strolling through the Bailey Arboretum on Long Island today.
There was a whole grove of katsuras, a couple of them were absolutely gigantic.
They were all coming into leaf which fresh green leaves backlit by the sun.
It was as beautiful as any spring flowering tree.

Geez, Weerobin, no photos? :{

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Wee did that to us after a visit to the Keith Arboretum in NC.

I think he hates Bourbon and chocolate too. More for us, I guess...

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Again ashamed of myself. When I'm out of town, I just have my phone camera,
which isn't very good, so I don't bother with pictures. I'm letting you guys use your imagination to conjure up a recreation of what was a very beautiful sight. They had some pretty impressive dawn redwoods, too.

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

Quote from Weerobin :
I'm letting you guys use your imagination to conjure up a recreation of what was a very beautiful sight.

OK, wait, I think it's coming to me. Yes, there it is! Oh my, that is just a beautiful sight...

So says Pseudo from the white-out conditions of the chilly north.

I think Wee needs an aide-de-camp...a squire...a second, as it were. Then, trivial things like documentation of exquisite landscapes and specimens can be assigned/delegated whilst he enjoys the experience, not to be diverted from his reverie.

I have something like this in my travel arrangements. I used to call it my yardstick; she now goes by spouse and She Who Must be Obeyed. Sometimes, as Burden.

I have many images of many plants from many great places - most of them as Kodachrome slides which I must someday get digitized - where my dear is standing next to the specimen as my unit of scale. Quite handy, I must say.

Note how the red contrast does all the work with this Taxodium distichum specimen...

Thumbnail by ViburnumValley
Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

My wife's patience waiting for me endlessly to get the 'perfect shot' wore thin a few years ago. Maybe the better excuse for not taking pictures on these recent arboretum visits is to blame it on my wife. My picture-taking is much less encumbered on my own...

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

That's an impressive Taxodium. The fence would indicate it's growing in Kentucky?

This is on the same farm property where the national champion Bur Oak is/was.

I say is/was because somebody in Missouri (I think) claims they've got one bigger.

It looks a lot like this.

And there's the yardstick again...

Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley
suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

I see, have we a Kentuckian detractor in our midst? In that last post VV, is that a Q. Macrocarpa that you speak of and in photos? Is that big national champion tree still there? Because if it isn't, the big daddy runner-up is right here in Missouri alright. And I am quite confident that it's bigger than your big boy there in pictures. The Mo. one is South of Columbia, Mo. about 60 or 70 miles. -
http://mdc.mo.gov/sites/default/files/resources/2010/05/missouri_state_champion_trees_03-27-14.pdf scroll about 2/3 down to Bur Oak. Anyway, this one is close to champion status it looks like.
I went there around 11 years ago, it is large. -

I'm not sure I understand now though. Is the current champion now in Indiana? -

http://www.americanforests.org/bigtree/quercus-macrocarpa-5/

Will

This message was edited Apr 21, 2014 7:08 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.