Need help with making a new bird bathing station . . .

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

I have a stand (really, it was the bottom of a wood table) that is 20 inches (pieces of wood project in 4 directions like arms, and each set is 20" across total). I am thinking of sealing the wood, because I want to use the stand to hold a bird bath. So, I have two questions . . .

1. Where can I find a light-weight plant pot-saucer that is 20" at its *base*?
(18" is the largest I've been able to find *> http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=485105-54356-P13011811287S&langId=-1&storeId=10151&productId=50124409&catalogId=10051&cmRelshp=rel&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1 )

2. What is the best sealant to use on the wood for this purpose (it is well weathered wood that I do not intend on sanding) . . .
or will ANY sealant be adequately protective?

Should it only be used as a dry seed feeder instead of a bird bath? I really don't need one of those . . . as I much prefer spreading sunflower seeds through my yard & watching the birds *peacefully* search for them, than concentrating seed in one spot & having them quarrel & get pushy with one another!

This will be the highest bird bath in my yard, if it ever becomes one. . . .

The two shells are on the ground where I can easily readjust their supports after cleaning;
the four rough concrete ones I made are too large & heavy to be up too high so are on concrete deck supports;
the old hubcap is atop the wheel of a lawnmower (removed the wheel center so they'd fit together) & both are atop a 'stump;'
the white plastic one whose stand broke is hidden behind a plant (but the birds still use it);
the dish-garden-bath rests atop the front portion of a segment of concrete retaining wall (the kind that gets filled with dirt & they stack next to & on top of to form the wall . . . I use them for benches in the garden, too, as they're just the right height for short people & kids.)

Anyway . . . I've wound up with them ALL under our Olive tree, because that is closer than our home to the neighbor's bees, which use them in droves during hot weather (and some of them sting if they've been upset about something in the past few days). Now, I have this stand that has nothing on it anymore, sitting on bricks to keep its feet off of the ground . . beckoning with open arms for something worthy of its 'majesty' to hold up! (LOL!) The only other alternative I can think of is to use the saucer as a pot with a plant of some kind hanging down around its edges . . . but, it gets windy there, and I don't want it so top-heavy & wind-catching that it blows over!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.