Lotus from Seed

Columbus, OH

I started my lotus seeds this week and they sprouted in three days! They look like magic beans! :D

More photos here:
http://gildedorchid.com/water-gardening/lotus-seeds/

Thumbnail by Corsetiere
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

Congratulations! The water will start to get slimey in a few days. Make sure you keep it clean and not let the level go up and down. :)

Columbus, OH

Thanks! Yeah I have been carefully rinsing the water out everyday. As of today, 6 out of 8 have sprouted and are cresting the surface of the water by about an inch! :)

Decatur, GA

I have bunch of lotus seed. You have inspired me to get them started.
Has anyone kept lotus plants in buckets instead of a pond? I may need to start a new thread to get this answered.
Thanks,
Helen

Helen, All of my lotus are in tubbies. None of them are in my pond. They all do very well and it makes it much easier to divide later on.

Columbus, OH

Helen I planted 2 seedlings in large plastic pots without drain holes. People recommend 20" or greater diameter pots. Lotus just need a little standing water on top the soil in order for them to thrive. I've heard 1-4 inches of water will suffice. Of course after I planted mine it rained like crazy for days! So much for keeping a uniform water level! Ha!

Decatur, GA

Thanks for the advise. It sounds more appealing growing them in a bucket. How do you keep it from getting rotten in the none draining bucket? Or is it just not a problem.
How deep (and wide) are your tubbies Merry Mary?

I buy the normal tubbies with rope handles. I've never planted a single one, I just put them in there to keep them wet until I "could" plant them...but never did. They just sat in the tubs long enough to grow anyway! I threw another tuber into an aquarium on my deck to keep it wet, forgot about it, and it now has a happy home! They aren't really particular, as long as you start them out without stress.

Columbus, OH

It shouldn't get rotten if you periodically add fresh water. I am thinking about adding an air stone to the mini/pond bog area that I planted some in, but I don't think you need to worry about that for a potted lotus.

No, if the tubbies are large enough, there's not a problem. It's only when people start the seeds in cups, etc. You can add one drop of peroxide too, if you think the seed/roots look scummy.

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

The Lotus seed arrived today from California. I bought them on ebay and the enclosed letter said to file on one side until it shows a little white. Do yall do this or can I just soak the seed overnight??

Columbus, OH

Definitely file them. Lotus seeds have a protective coating that can allow them to basically stay dormant for many years.

Definitely file them. I pinch them with pliers and scratch them back and forth on the sidewalk until I make a white spot. If you have a Dremel, you can sand an area off the shell too. Just don't "drill" into it.

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

Look what I found yesterday when I changed water in the Morning...I am so excited.

Thumbnail by WillowWasp
Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

and this morning....

Thumbnail by WillowWasp
Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

and that wasn't all..... These are a pale yellow Lotus. I just reordered some blue, white with pink tips and Yellow....

Thumbnail by WillowWasp
Decatur, GA

Excellent. Keep us posted. When do you put them in dirt?

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

Gosh I don't know. This is a first for me to try and grow Lotus. I don't even know what type of medium to plant them in. I guess I better start some doing some research...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.