Why are my Daylilies doing this?

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Several of my most reliable daylilies have something weird going on with them. The scapes are short and the buds are curved and small and just "off". Pictures should show what I mean.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC Thumbnail by DebinSC Thumbnail by DebinSC
Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

How weird. I would suspect the weather has confused them but why don't you check with Roycroft or that other grower in your area. I would love to know their answer.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Yes, that's a good idea, A. I will call Bob at Roycroft. :) I'll let you know . what he says

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Well the consensus I've gathered seems to be that this happens due to late spring cold weather, which we definitely had this year. I have 2 clumps that are blooming like mad, but the blooms are all about the same height as the foliage tops. Strange but true.

Good to know and now that the weather has warmed they should start behaving normally.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Hoping so! The others that have scapes seem to be pushing them up higher. This is one of the early bloomers though. More like a Hidden Ginger than a Lily. :)

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Just to update. All recovered and bloomed "normally" after the first few little shorties. :)

Good growing!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.