Epimediums

Stroudsburg, PA(Zone 6a)

I discovered epimediums last fall and planted about 10 of them. So far I haven't seen a hint that any of them survived. They were under a huge snow cover all winter so I think they should be ok but I thought they were early plants. I know there's nothing to do but wait but I'm still worried. Now far along are yours? I'm in zone 6a.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Mine are just getting started. They literally came up in the last few days.
These are from yesterday:
#1 E brachyrrhizum
#2 E x versicolor Cherry Tart
#3 E warleyense
#4 E lishihchenii
#5 don't know what this one is - cute tiny flowers.

Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin
Stroudsburg, PA(Zone 6a)

Those are beautiful. I would be happy to see a tiny leaf on any of them!

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Mine are just breaking dormancy. I haven't even started cutting back the old foliage. They are a little late this year, but they are reliable.

Stroudsburg, PA(Zone 6a)

We had a nice rain last night and this morning I see a couple tiny leaves on two plants. I'm so relieved. I am so looking forward
to seeing these plants! I don't expect much this year but I want them to live. Here is what I have:
E. brachyrrhizum
E. perralchicum
"Tama No Genpei"
E. rubrum
"Purple Heart"
Amber Queen
Cherry Tart
Red Queen
Vancoureria Hexandra (a companion plant)

I hope I can send pictures like you, WeeRobin, some day. Such beautiful and delicate flowers!

Stroudsburg, PA(Zone 6a)

Yippee! I see tiny shoots on 6 of the nine plants and tiny buds on the e. brachyrrhizum. That's a relief.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Congrats! They'll start blooming almost immediately. And we'll await the pictures you promised!

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Beautiful Wee, I love that third one!

Taylorsville, KY

I planted 8 last fall and we had a brutal winter (like everyone else, pretty much). At first, I thought I'd lost most of them--then I saw a wee (haha!!) bit of life in them and now they are doing pretty darn good....bigger than I thought they'd be and they are putting out blooms. My three year old ones are doing fine and increased from last year so I don't think they were affected by the polar vortex winter, continuous snow and ice, etc. Based on planting them for three years, I always panic the first spring b/c I think they aren't doing well. I hope yours do well b/c they are quite charming.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.