Is this a Salvia?

Houston Heights, TX(Zone 9a)

It was given to me as a Salvia but the person did not know the cultivar. It has fuzzy foliage and the unopened blooms on the spire looked like stacked squares. The blue flower has a white eye. It began blooming this month.

Thumbnail by steadycam3 Thumbnail by steadycam3 Thumbnail by steadycam3 Thumbnail by steadycam3
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

This shows the blooms , and leaves that are of something other , But it is a salvia , sage, agastache . etc ,, looks close , only that is up to you steady

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/51624/

Ju, I looked at this one in plant files and it says it blooms late summer and early fall. My plant is blooming now. Im stumped.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

It could be a young May Knight ? That still looks near , The leaves are right , your blooms look lighter , but that happens ,, often in fact .
Yours looks like Evolution or Victorian , Why is it blooming now ? got me , Crossed with something ? probably

Felt the need to finish my thought , that's neat if it continues to next year blooming in the spring , A spring blooming old time cross ,, Coooool!!! ^_^

Maybe crossed with nettle leaf sage , spring blooming Agastache urtica?

This message was edited Apr 14, 2014 12:15 AM

This message was edited Apr 14, 2014 12:20 AM

This message was edited Apr 14, 2014 12:33 AM

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

try this;

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/161216/

Candor, NC

It's not either May Night or S. urticifolia.

It may be an Andean species, based on the leaves, or not even a Salvia.

Some skullcaps have narrow flower tube bases that come from a distinctly shaped calyx at the base of the flower. A closeup of that detail would help separate Salvia from Scutellaria and other mint genera.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

here's a few skullcaps to look at .
In either case the plant is young , still looks like a cross of Evolution , agastache salvia to me .
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/111193/

Hyssop type and nettle leaf are spring bloomers , or early summer , A Mexican skullcap with nettle or hyssop leaves it could be , difficult for things like me to identify .
oh well , sigh . I like the blooms though ,

I will get the close-up of the calyx as soon as it stops raining.

Here is my attempts at close ups of the calyces. The photo's are poor but I think it can be seen that the calyx looks nothing like a salvia. It is spoon or cup shaped. Hope this helps someone to know what it is.

Thumbnail by steadycam3 Thumbnail by steadycam3 Thumbnail by steadycam3 Thumbnail by steadycam3 Thumbnail by steadycam3

I googled and found scutellaria with the same type calyces.

edited for spelling

This message was edited Apr 19, 2014 12:52 AM

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Yes indeed , it does look like integrifolia of that ,
Looks a lot the same as some Agastache do here .
good find steady ..^_^

Ju, after comparing the foliage on the two, Im going for the heartleaf skullcap vs the integrifolia.
Thanks for all your hard work in helping me. I appreciate you.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Well it's not work ,, lol ,, I have fun learning ,, last dozen times or so , I have not been correct .
Your the one looking at the plant ,, even that is not always easy ,,is it ?
Your a ways away from here , and there are not as many wildflowers here as there use to be .I don't get to see many
Enjoyed, thank you ,, for the appreciation ,, ^_^

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.