Spring cactus blooms

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

Cactus blooms are coming along rapidly now. Mammillaria carmenae, Parodia, Chamaecereus silvestrii (Peanut Cactus) in bright red (Thank you, Helen Child), Echinopsis subdenudata

Thumbnail by NancySLAZ Thumbnail by NancySLAZ Thumbnail by NancySLAZ Thumbnail by NancySLAZ
Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

A few more: Rebutia perplexa, Gymnocalycium andrae, Gymnocalycium odoratum, Echinocereus triglochidiatus (Orange Claret Cup Cactus), Mammillaria spinosissima 'Redheaded Irishman'

Thumbnail by NancySLAZ Thumbnail by NancySLAZ Thumbnail by NancySLAZ Thumbnail by NancySLAZ Thumbnail by NancySLAZ
Baja California, Mexico(Zone 11)

Wow. Totally amazing Nancy. They color is stunning even on the thumbnails. What a happening group of cacti and what lovely detail in the photos.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

So beautiful, Nancy. Thanks for posting those.

Decatur, GA

Wow Nancy, you are getting a nice show. And I am catching up here on DG.

Cannelton, IN(Zone 6b)

Nice Nancy, I'm getting several buds and hope to have some flowers soon.

Arlington, TX

I have had a few on and off for over a month. Thank goodness spring is finally here!

Thumbnail by newtonsthirdlaw Thumbnail by newtonsthirdlaw Thumbnail by newtonsthirdlaw Thumbnail by newtonsthirdlaw Thumbnail by newtonsthirdlaw
Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

I know you try to get cactus that can grow in the ground in your area. They look wonderful, Cheryl! Do you know what the green flowered one is? I'd love to get one like it. I don't have any with green flowers.

Arlington, TX

Echinocereus viridiflorus, I have a few of them and they are very tough and wet resistant. They are also pretty small.

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

Thanks, I see Miles' 2 Go has it, plus some other ones I want. Oh dear, here I go again!

Chandler, AZ(Zone 9b)

Umm...Nancy...not to be an enabler, but AZ Cactus Sales has a bunch of Echinocereus viridiflorus right now.

Of course, I was just there yesterday enabling both my sister and myself further, so know this for a fact.

= ))

Windsor, CA(Zone 9b)

Thank all for posting the lovely photos. I am too busy enjoying the buds and blooms in my garden, and taking some photos, to post them. Where does the time go? xuling

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

Wow, thanks Tristan! I'll head over there on Wednesday and get one. I like to buy from AZ Cactus Sales!

Chandler, AZ(Zone 9b)

You should stop by and say Hi! You never know what other goodies you might head home with! ;)

Prosper, TX(Zone 8a)

Hey Cheryl what's the pink flowered one in your third photo?

Arlington, TX

Good question. I have not put any tags on the outdoor plants or at least not many so I am not certain who it is.
C

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Quote from perkoschilefarm :
Hey Cheryl what's the pink flowered one in your third photo?

That looks like a form of echinocereus reichenbachii.

Arlington, TX

Oh, I thought you meant the 4th pic. Guess I can't count. Yes indeed mc that one I know. I think I have 3 varieties of that species all of which look slightly different but all have those lovely large flowers. Do you know what the one with the small pink flowers is? (the real #4)
C

Arlington, TX

I wish they bloomed like this all season.

Thumbnail by newtonsthirdlaw Thumbnail by newtonsthirdlaw Thumbnail by newtonsthirdlaw Thumbnail by newtonsthirdlaw
Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Quote from newtonsthirdlaw :
Do you know what the one with the small pink flowers is? (the real #4)
C

I think it is mammillaria candida.

It has the same flowers as the plant that I got labeled that way, but yours has slightly longer spines.

I made the mastake to plant mine in full afternoon sun here in the Valley of the Sun, it did not survive the summer...

Arlington, TX

I haven't ordered any mammilaria for the garden bed so if that is what it is it was sent as incorrectly ID'ed. Now I am curious.

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

I guess looking at the pictures I have again, I can see some differences in the flowers that could easily mean my first sense of the ID was wrong. I will do some more digging when I have time.

Thijs

Arlington, TX

Thank you. I really do need to start labeling them as I often forget.

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Hi Cheryl,

I am with you there. I planted out a bunch of agaves and in the process harvested quite a bunch of pups from them, put them in little pots walked away for a week and came to realize, that for about half of them I have no clue anymore which Agave parent they belong to. Some are already characteristic enough to ID them, but a bunch of others just look too similar...

I usually take pictures of everything to keep track, but of course that one day I did not.

Thijs

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

Here's a few more of my cactus blooming now: Mammillaria lenta, Mammillaria guelzowiana, Gymnocalycium baldianum, Echinocereus rigidissimus ssp. rubispinus (Ruby rainbow), Chamaecereus silvestrii (Peanut Cactus) in bright red

Thumbnail by NancySLAZ Thumbnail by NancySLAZ Thumbnail by NancySLAZ Thumbnail by NancySLAZ Thumbnail by NancySLAZ
Decatur, GA

Spectacular Nancy.

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

A few more blooms as the season winds down with the heat coming. Gymnocalycium denudatum (Spider cactus), Mammillaria duwei (which has bloomed for 2 months), Parodia erubescens, another Parodia, Echinopsis chamaecereus (Peanut cactus in orange)

Cannelton, IN(Zone 6b)

Nice Nancy! Mine are getting a lot of buds. Hopefully by next week I'll have blooms.

Arlington, TX

Coryphantha sulcata, easy, hardy and I love the flower color.

Thumbnail by newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

New today.

Thumbnail by newtonsthirdlaw Thumbnail by newtonsthirdlaw Thumbnail by newtonsthirdlaw Thumbnail by newtonsthirdlaw
Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

Beautiful Cheryl! That gold Coryphantha is special and so nice it is hardy!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.