Spring has sprung

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

We came from here...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1347827/

So much blooming going on all at once! Magnolias are aberrantly accelerating; Cornus mas have reached crescendo.

Dogwoods, Crabapples, Redbuds, Serviceberries, and a host of minor flowering trees/shrubs are racing through their spring bloom cycle.

Buckle up - it's going to be a bumpy and wild ride...

Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley

That's Magnolia x 'Elegant Spring', in case you cared.

This is Magnolia x 'Butterflies'...

Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley

This is the old favorite Magnolia x 'Elizabeth'...

There are some run of the mill magnolias blooming, too.

How about a taste of Saucer Magnolia (Magnolia x soulangeana)?

OK - I'll rub it in, just for Pseudo's sake.

Here's Magnolia x 'Galaxy', blooming right next to the parking lot at my office...

(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

Oh VV, you sure know how to make a gardener drool...man that was medicine for a winter-weary soul.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Here's how some of my magnolias looked yesterday:
#1 Susan
#2 stellata Waterlily
#3 Butterflies. Flowers are amazingly dense. My tree's location makes it hard to get good pix.
#4 Leonard Messel
It's supposed to be 34 degrees tomorrow night.
Hope they're not wrong by a degree or two
- magnolia flowers turn to brown mush with the slightest hint of frost!

Last one is a pretty quince getting started, Spitfire (#5)

Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin

OMG, there's more than one of you...

VV and a minnie-v (in Scots terms; wee-v). At any rate it's double trouble for us wanna-be's.

They are all sooo beautiful! Can either/both of you possibly collect seeds in the fall? I'll pay for postage! Heh...heh...come on guys, what'ya say?

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Now, you're talking crazy. VV's the real deal, I'm a hobby suburban pretender.
I'd better defer to a real plantsman, but I suspect most of these guys are grafted,
so seeds might not be so reliable...

Do you think any of the seeds would come true?

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

It's about time y'all got your magnolia shoes on! It was the pictures you've posted I had in mind when I started this thread. Beautiful! The Loebner's and Stellata's typically bloom in mid April around here, but they'll be tardy this year. Try as I might, I'm afraid my spot on this earth is not meant to grow magnolias. :(

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Those are all gorgeous, thanks for sharing.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Wow VV that Magnolia x 'Butterflies' is gorgeous! I love the yellow blossoms.

Wee: how does your quince do for you? I wanted to get one but was turned off because of all the issues MOBOT said they are susceptible to.

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

I see that temps in the Lexingtion area are supposed to get down to 27F tomorrow evening, which could mean a short bloom season for the magnolias. I hope they're wrong about that. We got roughly 2" of snow last night and now it's turning cold...again! The good news is we're getting ample moisture. Cool and wet in these parts, which isn't such a bad thing.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

My quince is living in a partially shaded jungle, certainly not ideal situation for a quince, but seems to be doing fine. I'm sure blooms would be more ample in a sunnier location. But the brightness of the blooms in woods which are still pretty leafless really stands out.

Nighttime temps here supposed to be 29 or 30, depending on where you look. It's a good thing I took my magnolia pix yesterday, I suspect they'll be brown mush tomorrow.

This message was edited Apr 14, 2014 7:39 PM

Same forecast and gloomy outlook here for blooming Magnolias.

Wee I have quince from a friend and it was suggested by how she grew it that shade works pretty well. I think I'd like the more casual, sparse bloom.

I have a volunteer holly that seems like a mix from my Burford crenata. He blooms wonderfully and smells fantastic for a few days. I say male because there's never been a berry. Bad shape but I think of all the pollination he's providing. I wonder if I could get a patent for it- I'll call it Randy Bastard.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Lol Sally....he's your 'stud' holly.

Lol Sally!

OK, sallyg - I'll play along but I'll also call you out.

You are welcome to register your stud with the Holly Society of America, but you'll have to correctly identify it by species and sex.

Hint: 'Burfordii' is NOT an Ilex crenata selection. And - by proximity to yours truly - you should be able to tell male holly flowers from female holly flowers.

Just sayin'...

Oh, cr@p. cornuta !!!!
( heads hangs in shame) I was really not firing on all cylinders the other day.
And you are right, I have been lazy and not gotten my magnifying glass on those buggers.

Examples of male Ilex flowers versus female Ilex flowers - this pretty much applies to any holly you'll come across in eastern North America.

Male...
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/225416/

Female...
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/225417/
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/358292/

Once you look, you should never forget. The big green bump in the center is the reminder of from whence comes the fruit.

Thanks VV...now we all know! I'd also like to thank Sally for providing the basis of this valuable lesson!

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

A lesson learned is a lesson earned.

What a guy- made my reference material so handy. Now I just need the buds to open up- they were all tight balls today still, its chilly here!

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

Quote from sallyg :
What a guy- made my reference material so handy. Now I just need the buds to open up- they were all tight balls today still, its chilly here!

Goodness, that sends chills up my spine. Yes, everything here is tight as well. We could certainly use a little warmth to loosen things up. That would be a good thing.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Quote from sallyg :

LOL Sally....interesting wording. That tends to happen when it's cold :)

O
M
G
I totally did not think about it that way. Poor Randy, no wonder....

What if it turns out she's Randi...

Still applies, I suppose.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Hahaha...VV

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

Acer mandshuricum. :)

Thumbnail by Pseudo
Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Nice Pseudo....I looked up picks online. That's a pretty tree. It amazes me how little your stuff has leafed out.

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

Quote from Sequoiadendron4 :
Nice Pseudo....I looked up picks online. That's a pretty tree. It amazes me how little your stuff has leafed out.

Yes, it's amazing...in a sucky sort of way. No, that's not true. Everyone wants it to warm up, but this cool and moist spring we're having has its benefits.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Moist springs are great but cool, not so much. I like a warm spring IMO. Those poor people in the Denver area have been in freeze warnings all week so far. I think they got snow this past weekend too. I guess it could always be worse for you :)

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

The last two evenings have been in the mid 30's, but everything seems to be so late that a hard freeze probably wouldn't do that much damage. Nature loves her little surprises...

Seq, things in this area have been cool but now really nice, wouldn't you say this spring was worth a little wait? And aren't we glad we haven't seen the 30s for a few weeks, I know I am!

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Yeah Sally, this spring has been nice. I'd like every spring to be like the spring of '12 though :) Basically, I would do well to move to a warmer climate...LOL

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

These Trillium photos were taken yesterday while passing through Clark County forestland just a few miles to the east of me. I don't seem them every year, but this trip is always a treat.

Thumbnail by Pseudo Thumbnail by Pseudo

A treat, indeed...

Ditto, looks like they get some sun.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.