White grubs devouring courgettes from within

Hk, Hong Kong

First time grower in Hong Kong and courgettes are starting to take a turn for the worse.

I realise this is the Tropical Zone Gardening Discussion Forum and I'm Sub-Tropical here, but it's the closest on this site.

Coming from Ireland, I was amazed at the rate of growth from seed to now, but this may be the trade-off.
I thought it was flower rot from the more humid days spreading to the fruit, but when I opened a couple I noticed they are being devoured from within.
I noticed an insect somewhere between a fly and a wasp jab a young fruit a couple of days ago and thought I'd wait it out and see if it was connected.
The hole in the second image is from that jab and the other two images show the grubs.
7 of the 9 plants I have in pots on my roof have this issue - I removed all yellowed fruit and squished the grubs that were present in all.

I only began to enjoy the fruits of my labors two weeks ago so it would be disappointing if this were to continue.
My first-time tomatoes on the same roof are just starting to form fruit, should I expect more of the same for them?

Thanks in advance for any advice...

Thumbnail by tomoodea Thumbnail by tomoodea Thumbnail by tomoodea
Laie, HI

Not sure what bugs you have in Hong Kong but here in Hawaii it will be the fruit fly eating it. Maybe try covering up the fruit once it is set.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.