Broom hunting

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

I'm curious what your thoughts might be on this. Do you have any to share?

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

What is Broom Hunting? Is it like Curling?

(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

I think its more like hunting for natural dwarf conifers. I wouldn't know the difference between a broom and a young conifer...unless I've eyeballed it for about 10 years.

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

Mipii has the gist of it. Brooms (or witch's brooms) are mutated growth that some people find irresistable and become obsessed with "hunting" them. Actually, I think hunting is a misnomer since it implies the prey has an ability to elude the hunter. They're the source of many dwarf conifers you find at nurseries. I don't know a whole lot about brooms or the practice of collecting them, but I do know Josh Horky and Joe Breau from the Duluth area. If you ever find yourself in Duluth, Edelweiss Nursery is worth visiting. There's a pretty good chance Joe will stop by and chat about conifers.

http://www.mprnews.org/story/2013/01/29/human-interest/witchs-brooms-collectors

Thanks for the info Pseudo! If "hunting" is a misnomer, what say you about "treasure hunting"?

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

I suppose there is a certain elusiveness to finding treasures (I'm sure that's how they see brooms), and implies a hunting mentality. Maybe one who hunts conifer brooms should follow the lead of orchids and be called the broom thief. ;)

Yes, broom thief is perfect! You'd have to really know your conifers huh?

If I go broom hunting will I start to look like this?

Thumbnail by Pistil

Lol MLM...if you do, people will think you're going curling...

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

Hey, don't laugh, it's an olympic sport.

More "Broom Hunting'...
This time I am thinking of hunting invasive Scotch Broom. Actually around here you don't have to do much hunting, it springs up everywhere. However the actual eradication is a challenge.Maybe it should be an Olympic sport too.

Thumbnail by Pistil Thumbnail by Pistil Thumbnail by Pistil
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Quote from mlmlakestevens :
More "Broom Hunting'...
This time I am thinking of hunting invasive Sc*** Broom. Actually around here you don't have to do much hunting, it springs up everywhere. However the actual eradication is a challenge.Maybe it should be an Olympic sport too.

Spellcheck: when discussing Scotland, the correct spelling is Scots or Scottish, with the single exception of whisky. Apart from the whisky exception, the spelling you used is offensive to people in Scotland, so please edit the post ;-)

As for Cytisus scoparius, the correct English name is Common Broom, or just Broom:
http://wbd.etibioinformatics.nl/bis/flora.php?selected=beschrijving&menuentry=soorten&id=3003

Resin

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

Why the exception for whiskey?

Ha, ha, ha!

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Quote from Pseudo :
Why the exception for whiskey?

Whiskey is Irish ;-)

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

Resin, I can't let you get away with that. This from the Scotch Whiskey Association website: "The Scotch Whisky Association (SWA) promotes, protects and represents the interests of the industry in Scotland and around the world. Scotch Whisky can only be made in Scotland, but is recognised internationally. It's an iconic, high quality product worth £4.23bn in annual exports."

This is an issue you obviously feel strongly about, and I'm surprised you'd let whiskey off the hook so easily. Why can't Scotch Whiskey become Scots Whiskey? I'm guessing money and tradition are the main obstacles...especially money.

Many of the distillers are in and around Speyside, which is the UK's version of Bardstown, KY. Their Whiskey Festival is coming up soon and I would dearly love to attend it, followed by a visit to Edinburg's RBGE.

http://www.spiritofspeyside.com/

Oh dear I did not know I was insulting anyone. i knew the proper term for someone from Scotland is Scottish, but did not know that in general the term is derogatory. My apologies (for real not a joke). Everyone calls it Sc*** Broom here, it's even listed that way on the Washington State Noxious Weed list:
http://www.nwcb.wa.gov/detail.asp?weed=44

I'm pretty sure Resin was joking MLM...after all you didn't name the invasive species "Scotch". You also can't kill the messenger...(well maybe you can, but it wouldn't be right)!

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Resin doesn't joke about this subject.

Scotch is also a verb, it has nothing to do with Scotland and the invasive species bearing the name in question is not referencing Scotland, Scotsman, Scots or Scottish. I doubt Scotland was even in mind when given the nomenclature.

What about butterscotch, scotch tape or hopscotch? Does any word containing "scotch" offend the people in Scotland? Are other languages that use the word escocés...or скотч...or 스카치, offensive too?

I can understand when applied to people, but something else named "scotch"? Gotta say I don't get it.

Houston Heights, TX(Zone 9a)

Resin winked at the end of his post.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.