Pickled Eggs

Ozark, MO(Zone 6a)

Doing my job here representing the lowbrow end of the Recipes Forum. You know my "recipes" are along firehouse, hunting and fishing camp, poker game snacks, lines - and now I'm stooping to bar food. LOL

I've never been one to go to bars (probably a real good thing), but I was a steelworker for awhile when I was young. The crews I worked with liked to stop at a beer bar after work, even if that happened to be at 8 a.m. (eewww!). There was a gallon jar there with a handwritten sign: PICKLED EGGS 25 CENTS. I liked those, and would always have the bartender fish one out for me.

A couple of weeks ago I finished a quart jar of beet pickles that I made from our garden beets last year. I don't add sugar when I pickle beets (I think they're sweet enough already), and I don't add spices or anything except for one clove of garlic in the bottom of each jar. My basic brine is simple, in the ratio of 3 pints white vinegar, 1 pint apple cider vinegar, 3 pints water, and 7 tablespoons of Kosher salt.

It seemed like a shame to waste the good-tasting bright-colored brine that was left in that beet pickle jar, so I remembered those pickled eggs from long ago. I hard-boiled and peeled a bunch of eggs to fill the jar, and found there wasn't enough red brine to cover the eggs. I topped the jar off with 2/3 cider vinegar, 1/3 water, and put the jar in the refrigerator.

Two weeks later, those pickled eggs are GOOD. They taste quite a bit like deviled eggs, and I know our grandkids are going to get a kick out of how the egg whites turned bright red/purple - if I don't eat all of them up first, that is!

Thumbnail by Ozark Thumbnail by Ozark
This thread has 13 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!