First chicken SOLD!

(Zone 6b)

I sold my first chicken today. $20! for a six month old cockerel. Ha, just a tiny fraction of the money I've spent on most of these birds, but hey, better than nothing, and sounds like the little bird will be much better off where he is going than he would be with me. This is all good.

I left a note on a bulletin board at the feed store. A lady called me from the store. She lives in the country and had lost a silkie hen. The one silkie she had left was lonely and she was looking for a companion for her. She was so happy to have the little cockerel. It was nice to make her happy. I felt good too knowing the little rooster would have a good home.

Then I called the man from the state that does the NPIP tests. He said I need to have more blood tests and be NPIP approved again soon. "I didn't hear it from him", you understand, but if I sell the birds out of my home, like I did, or on Craig's list that is all I need is the blood test he gives which is free. I can also sell them in Oklahoma at the poultry shows or auctions with the NPIP certificate.

However, if I want to sell at the Flea Market or any other public arena in Texas I have to call "Texas Animal Health Commission" and let them come to my home and inspect my chickens and where I keep them. It also costs me $35 and has to been done each and every year. Just for a few chickens? I mean, really.

The diseases the states test for have virtually been erradicated for all practical purposes. NPIP stands for National Poultry Improvement Program. I thought it was the blood tests they do, but it isn't. It is the name of the program.

Well, regardless of all that, I am very proud of myself. I don't feel hurt and worried about the chicken either. Mostly because I trust the woman to take care of it. It was a nice experience really.

(Zone 6b)

I posted these two videos on youtube tonight.

This first video is a trapped cat. I was gone for the night and came home and found this cat. It was going NUTS! I mean NUTS! So, out of curiousity I came in and started running the security videos that had been taken of the night before. I'm just learning to use the DVR. You can play them at 1X, 2X, 4X, 8X or 16X speed. This video was recorded at 16X. The cat doesn't trip the trap right away. According to the recording he pretty much fought this trap all night long. He would take short rests then get hysterical again. Obviously I had the camera too close to the trap. This is me taking a video of a monitor and that makes the quality even worse. Still, it is kind of interesting. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txz-ECkG25o&feature=em-upload_owner

This next one is kind of funny. The cat is inside the trap and who comes sauntering down the walk to eat some catfood? This one is at normal speed. Kitty isn't too happy to see him either. You can see him back up and hiss. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmotN_YW2zM&feature=em-upload_owner

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Congrats on the sale. Sounds like a win win.

We're you trying to catch the possum and caught the cat instead? What did you do with the cat?

(Zone 6b)

Yes, I was trying for the possum, which is why it is so funny to me to see him come up and eat the cat food, like "haha". That look on his face too seemed to say he knew he was getting over on the cat.

I let the cat out the next morning. Haven't seen him since. I don't really like these cats around here, but it doesn't seem, from what I've seen from the cameras, that they cats are bothering the chickens. I think it was a possum that killed my best rooster and two hens. All three of them had the backend eaten out. That is what they say about a possum kill. So, I'm still going to be trying to get rid of any possums. Not sure what Animal Control does with them. The two I've caught, I leave a phone message and my address and they come into my yard, open one end of my trap, and then slide him over into theirs. They take them. That's all I know.

I have never taken a cat or dog to the pound, ever. I was tempted when I caught the first cat, but I couldn't do it. Remember, I took him about 20 blocks away and he was back in a week. He saw me and shot me a real mean look that said, "I KNOW WHAT YOU DID!" lol Poor thing still hangs around here and I feed him. Wish I could catch him again and get him neutered. He is always fighting, and looks so bad. Looks like I'm feeding all the cats in the neighborhood the way they come to my porch at night. These cameras are fun.

Haven't seen the possum around here lately. Maybe he moved
somewhere else for awhile.

Thanks CajuninKY. Appreciate it. :) God Bless and Keep You.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I smelled a skunk by my house last night. I put the cat's food up on a shelf. I don't think skunks can climb.

Bridgewater, ME

I HATE SKUNKS!!! Because I have a stupid dog

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I have not smelled it again. Thank the Lord!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.