urgent need advice on potted iris

Montgomery, AL(Zone 8b)

I bought a potted iris that is so healthy today at Lowes..

I asked the garden manager to buy some iris this year from a vendor
and get some blues, yellow and purples and two tones.

They are awesome.. she did a great selection such as Autumn Circus
Honky Tonk Blues, a bi yellow and some more..

I had room for only one selection..

My question is do I leave the new iris in the pot
april and may and see if it blooms putting it in the su nshine half day
and making sure it is watered daily...

or do I transplant it this week to the iris bed..where it will not be watered daily and have room to
spread its roots...

I would like to see it bloom this spring if it is going to do so..

it was 80 here yesterday but will get one more
night of 44 degrees mostly warm now in u pper 7o and 80's
however I would like to see this iris possibly bloom and did not know whether taking it out of the pot
and transplanting all the 4 fans together just like it was in the pot..not seperating ..

whether to do that now or wait to see if he puts up a bud in the pot

Help ..
Sheri

Concord, NC

Its up to you Sheri..I dont think it would hurt to plant them unless some of the roots on the bottom of the rhizomes are coming through the pot and you would have to rip them to get them out of the pot. If you plant them I would not separate the fans just leave the whole clump like it is in the pot with most of the same dirt around it and just buy a bag of organic outdoor plant soil and aput some in the hole around the clump and on top a little. or You could leave them in the pot and see if buds form.put them in the sun but make sure the pot is not to dry and not to wet and over watered. You could but another pot around the pot they are in.. to shade the root ball so it doesn't cook in the sun.

Montgomery, AL(Zone 8b)

thank you
I will plant it just like you said tommorow..we are expecting rain and a good time to do so
on an elevated area of the flower bed that is drier where the other iris are located.
I will not disturb the roots nor seperate any of the fans..
I was worried about the black plastic pot getting to hot , because they do in sun
so I will be glad to remove it from the container it is in .. bought in black plastic..
container..

Sheri

Dewey, AZ(Zone 7a)

Wow--you got yours at Lowe's? Our Lowe's wouldn't even consider iris--never seen them anywhere here except at nurseries. Congrats!

Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Did it bloom?

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

I have grown several varieties of iris in containers on my apt. patio with no issues. You just have to not let them bake dry and be prepared to divide more often than if they were in a bed. Most of my pots were about one gallon or 10 inch size.

I tended to be ready to use them in a bed to replace lost iris or non performers. Iris growers are generous types and the containers were a result of bonus and extras I couldn`t bear to give up :-)

South Hamilton, MA

Great joy. Hope that they keep going.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.