fatsia

Raleigh, NC

Our fatsia plant started to develop brown spots on its leaves last late summer. I removed the affected leaves, cleaned up underneath and applied fungicide. This spring it's much worse. We had a hard winter for NC with many days in the teens, which I mention in case it is a factor. It is in a partial shade/sunny place. Should I apply more fungicide move it or both? Or does it seem like something completely different?

Thumbnail by Yellowbricks Thumbnail by Yellowbricks Thumbnail by Yellowbricks
Contra Costa County, CA(Zone 9b)

Fatsias are very susceptible to sunburn. Usually sunburn happens to the leaves most exposed to the sun, that it, at the top of the plant, and away from the house with the protection of the eaves. It is very common for a plant to show sunburn toward the end of summer.

I am not sure if yours is showing typical sun burn, though. Looks like something different.

Cold also seems to affect the most exposed parts of the plant. Upper leaves, and away from the house. It is not usually just the edges, but may not be the whole leaf.

If your plant looks worse since using the fungicide, then perhaps one of several things are going on:
The material is not compatible with that plant.
There was something else on the plant (perhaps insecticide or fertilizer) that reacted with the fungicide.
The material was mixed up too strong, or not mixed well enough.

Raleigh, NC

Thank you. It's not in a sunny area. Sunburn is not likely. Perhaps I mixed the gungicide too strongly. I'll try it again .

Contra Costa County, CA(Zone 9b)

Yes, if it only gets the mildest of morning sun, or dappled light under a tree, or no sun at all, then sunburn is not likely.

At this point I would water and fertilize to get it growing. They are not very fast, not very demanding of fertilizer, but the little they need would be right now as they start to grow.
Perhaps a mulch with some compost. The water would soak the nutrients in slowly over a few months.

Raleigh, NC

So you wouldn't apply fungicide? I've been out of town til now and have come back to a sicker plant. What was brown is now black, brittle and curled.

Rolesville, NC(Zone 7b)

There are many awesome garden centers in our area. I'd take a leaf to one of them. I can't tell from your pictures but it could have mites, which the fungicide would not control. I'm not sure I understand why you would have needed a fungicide to begin with.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.