Suggestion for shrub that takes pruning well,

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

But not boxwood or privet . My zone is z9a and will get water from sprinkler in a well drained spot . Color pref. darkest green or burgundy . I have a lot of variegated or light green in that area so need contrast. Tls

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

I'd say one of the dwarfer forms of Prunus laurocerasus, like 'Otto Luyken' or some such.

Better: invest in a dwarf conifer (whatever color you like) that will never outgrow the spot.

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

I was thinking about a dwarf, then I wouldn't hv the extra pruning chore. But I suspect when they say zone &9 hardiness as fat as conifers are concerned, they talk about CA with hot days and cool nights. I have hot hot days and hot nights.

I see few conifers in my area and hv not seen a dwarf. Suggestions would be appreciated.

I'll Ck out p Otto Luken. Thank tou

Houston Heights, TX(Zone 9a)

Vossner, The Flame acanthus is not evergreen but it can be sculpted like a boxwood and when it blooms it will be covered in little red stars all over.

You would be the first!

I don't garden in your area, obviously, but I would also say that there are many parts of California that are hot/hot. So does Arizona.

Think about some of the southern Cupressus sp. like Cupressus arizonica.

Rhamnus californica turned up on the Plant ID forum - sounds like dwarf forms of that might fit your bill, too.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.