Got the blues with the "Blues"

West St. Paul, MN

I realize that in recent years, the hybridizers are madly trying to create a "Blue" daylily. I can certainly understand getting caught up in this most recent "Holy Grail" of daylilies (similar to true white ones) However... am I the ONLY one who is getting tired of being inundated with lavender/purple/violet/lilac daylilies? Don't get me wrong. Some are indeed beautiful. But, I'm beginning to feel that I'm watching the monochrome of daylilies. (Remember years ago when they were all pale melon, yellow, or orange?) Just curious on other's thoughts about this...

Enterprise, AL(Zone 8b)

Humm... over 61,000 daylilies to chose from and you feel inundated with the same boring colors? Sounds like my wife saying she has nothing to wear, when the closet is full. Pick a color any color, except blue.

This message was edited Apr 1, 2014 7:14 PM

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Seedfork, you have me laughing M ;;; off!!!
Thought my DW was the only one like that !
That said, there's a few that I would like to add to my garden, Blue Delicious comes to mind. LOL!! I am a nut for white daylilies.

West St. Paul, MN

OK, you guys; quit picking on me. LOL!!! Maybe you're right. (or not). It seems that Art Gallery Daylilies is producing "nothing but "blue" ". Also Guy Pierce/Floyd Cove. Now that you mention it, maybe it has more to do with certain breeders that I tend to focus on.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

LOL I'm glad I found this thread. Your too funny!

Cataddict, I'm tired of them calling purple and lavender daylilies Blue! They aren't blue! lol I have to admit to having a couple so called blue's on my want list. Shhh!
There are many newer pink's that are very pretty. Red is another color that keeps getting better in daylilies. Look away from the blue's! lol There is a rainbow of colors out there still :) Just, not blue! lol

West St. Paul, MN

On the Lily Auction, under Newer Daylilies, there is one by Lambertson called 'Blue Coral'. A few dl's down is one from Nicole called 'Shining Spark'. For the life of me, I can see only very small differences between the two. One is 51/2 inches the other is 6 inches. Both are semi-evergreen. One has a slightly wider edge than the other. (I just wanted to whine a little more)

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Meow, meow, meow!!! LOL!!
With over 70k registered daylilies out there, look alikes are a given. I look for long bloomers. I don't have the champagne taste like "umm" Susan, (not picking on you). If I had her deep pockets I probably would. LOL, again !! Still not picking on you!!! The long bloomers will be tested here in my Z:5 garden and the TRUTH will be revealed!! Haha!!
Going to try and get some stuff done this weekend. Have a great and safe weekend everyone.

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

It sure does seem like blue and purple breeding is more common these days. I don't really have a preference for color cause I like them all.

West St. Paul, MN

Mike, you are a hoot! LOL! (No, I don't take it personally. I set myself up for that one) Champagne taste is the problem. I do not have deep pockets either. However, I do like to hybridize and sell the seed on the Lily Auction. I used to do that about 5-6 years ago, and then lost my space and most of my daylilies. Therefore, I am trying to upgrade my breeding stock to more recent intros. of UFOs. (I always HAVE believed there are 'others' in the Universe.) ***snicker*** My daughter has bought a house with 24 acres, therefore, there is plenty of room for and less of a chance of losing my DLs. (I used to have about 300 cultivars)
Art Gallery Gardens used to be one of my favorites. Now, they all look the same at first glance.

I'm so happy to be back on Dave's Garden daylily forum! (Please allow me to continue 'whining' if I need to) LOL, again!

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

I agree, Mike is funny! He's very knowledgeable as well :) Wait till you see his gardens! Hint Hint Mike!

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Cataddict, this is the place to "WHINE"! It's ok we are family!! Before you know it you will be at top speed again. From time to time we all need to vent.
Wait till you see Taylordaylily's garden !! LOL !!
My sense of humor can be weird at times. I do have soft thick skin (LOL!) so I can take it !
I'M sure most of us would like a lot of the latest and greatest. I purchased four dahlias yesterday along with three daylilies. Two reported long bloomers that are average looking, My Melinda and Scottish Fantasy. Marque Moon was the other. Dahlia's were Mingus Randy, Babylon Red, Glacier and Purple Taiheijo. DW like big flowers so these are to please her. LOL!
I figure peony in the spring, hibiscus in the summer and dahlia's in the late summer / fall along with some roses and hydrangeas etc. If you want to be happy you have to appease the little gods = DW. LOL!! I promise that pics will be coming.
Cataddict, in regards to the 24 acres. You could claim one and use that for your breeding program.

West St. Paul, MN

Hi Mike: My humor is about as "twisted" as it comes. It seems the older I get, the worse it gets. LOL! My daughter says, "Mom! Put a filter on it!" (Then she starts laughing) I just started a new "WHINING" thread this morning. I'd like yours and everyone else's opinion. I can't wait to start gardening again. I have forgotten how to post pictures to Dave's Garden (DUH!) Anyone want to retrain me? Geez! Give me a break and you gotta retrain me...

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Mike, We like your sense of humor. :) Your DW has good taste in flowers. Maybe, someday she'll get the daylily bug. It can sneak up on you. If not her favorite's look great with daylilies. I'll show mine. Your turn next. lol
All but pic. 5 were new last year :)
Pic 1 Christopher Moody this bloom was 3 weeks after planting from Maryott's
Pic 2 Wild Wookie bloomed and rebloomed like crazy last year with only 2 fans
Pic 3 Mulan had 7 blooms on a small single fan last year
Pic 4 Sharks Tooth not sure I like this one
Pic 5 Flutterbye one of my favorite's

Cataddict, Hit the choose a file button. Then select from your pictures you have downloaded. It's easy! I have a 8 year is you need whine! lol There can be a lot of drama with whine. :)

Thumbnail by taylordaylily Thumbnail by taylordaylily Thumbnail by taylordaylily Thumbnail by taylordaylily Thumbnail by taylordaylily
Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

CM is my fav. Sharks Tooth without the teeth. Cm is a EV. Out of Tet Peppermint Delight intros from Pat Stamile between 08-09 I bought John Hawkins because it was listed as a "SEV". I got it last year. Didn't bloom then. It is also listed as a "EE". I am so excited to see what happens this season.
Cataddict, just double check (preview) when sending pics. We don't want you to send anything you don't want us to see. LMHO!
Enchanted Carousel
Hint Of Blue
Which Way
Sarah Hawes
Lavender Blue Baby

This message was edited Apr 6, 2014 8:37 AM

Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB
Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Mike, Thanks! Beautiful Bunch! Your LBB looks like it's a good bud builder and pod parent. Can I ask what you bred it with? Look forward to seeing the kids!
Oh my, look at the pollen on EC! You could dust a whole field with that. lol Have you taken advantage of it's overstuffed stamens? lol I wish they all put out the pollen like that!

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

TD, I remember using Stump Knocker and others with LBB. I also got some seed from EC. My record keeping wasn't something to be desired. LOL! I believe EC was crossed with Sabine Baur, Awesome Blossom and Adamas to name a few.
Adamas
Stump Knocker
Awesome Blossom
Sabine Baur
Affairs Of The Heart

Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB
Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Mike, Don't feel bad about record keeping. I have had my struggles with record keeping at times myself. My son combined a bunch of mine last year while they were drying. I could have cried when he showed me his art work he made with them. They are all mystery seeds now. Lol

Your going to have some cute kids from LBB and EC. I like all the dl's you bred them with. I really like Affairs Of The Heart and Sabine Baur. SB is getting close to the top of my wish book. Lol It's to long to call it a list anymore. :) For each 1 I scratch off, I add 10 more. Lol

I have a confession! I was bad the other night. I bought a unbloomed seedling of Bullfrog Kisses x Rings of Wonder. I was only going on the LA to check if my Lilium bulbs had shipped from Farawayflowers. I have no idea what happened. ;) I'm going to be getting scolded over this one. I'm out of control. Lol I need a 12 step program for daylilies. Is there such a thing? I sure need it!

West St. Paul, MN

Oh yes, taylordaylily! A number of years back the 12 steps for daylilies were posted by me and some others on DG. LOL! 'Just for today, I will not buy another daylily' 1.) Admitted that we were powerless over daylilies. 2) Made a searching and fearless inventory of our daylilies 3)Were entirely ready to have God remove our older, "less exciting" daylilies. 4) Tried to explain to God, ourselves, and another human being the exact nature of our daylily addiction. 5) Made a list of all daylily lovers, and became willing to make trades with them. 6)
Continued to watch our daylily inventory and amend wherever possible except when to do so might require "midnight gardening You get the idea I think....

I need to find a "meeting" myself. I seem to have had a relapse. (For anyone who cares, I used to be a Chemical Dependency Counselor) LOLOL!!

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

That wouldn't work for me. I love many of my historic daylilies. I still find them exciting. That is part of my problem. Lol Maybe, I'm a daylily hoarder. Lol Can you be a addicted hoarder? Lol

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

TD, you can be whatever you want! LOL! I could send you SB in our trade when you are ready.
Good luck on that seedling.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Mike, You found your 10%. Lol Sounds good to me! Thanks!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.