Naked Lady Lily- Can they be dug up and moved in Spring?

Mount Sterling, KY(Zone 6b)

I have two large clumps of Naked Lady Lillies and I need to move them, they already have foliage about 10 inches tall. Can they be moved this time of year without disrupting the bloom cycle or worse?

I have had these for years but have never tried to move them when they are actively growing. Can anyone give me any advice? Thanks.

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

The mere act of transplanting May disrupt flowering. One must decide what is more important: make space or miss flowering for 1 or more seasons.

The absolute best time to transplant is during summer dormancy, when foliage has disappeared but the may still skip blooming. Generally, I transplant when best for me at the expense of uninterrupted flower show.

When you ask about naked ladies I assumed you meant amaryllis belladonna .

However, lycoris squamigera is also commonly known as naked ladies and literature says its best to transplant after flowering .

Both plants are in the amaryllis family, both flower without foliage (hence the name naked ladies), both has pink blooms (generally).

Confusing? YES. Personally, I would still divide when it's best for me

Yes, I believe they are amaryllis belladonna. Thank you for for the information. I may wait until they are finished blooming.
A lot of my Iris and bulbs were handed down from my Grandmother and great Aunts, so some of the proper names may have got lost along the way. But I cherish those flowers and wouldn't want to lose them. Some of them have been in the family for 4 generations or more.

Very very cool. Assuming they are transplanted to a place with similar conditions as orig location, you s /b fine. Bulbs are incredibly tolerant and forgiving, that's why I luv them so much

Thank you so much! :)

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Most flowering plans don't like to be moved, but in my experience, it has more to do with disturbing the root growth than the location. Therefore, if you can dig and leave the soil around the bulb intact, they will probably bloom in the new location. When I moved lilium already growing in early spring, it stunted their blooms.

That is what I am afraid of. I need to rework the bed tha t they are in, But I may just work around them until after they bloom. Cathy166-Thanks for the info! :)

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

My Naked Ladies or Amaryllis b. took three years before they bloomed. I was given a bag of the bulbs. They pouted for two years-not blooming. Each year more of them bloom.
I don't think you will loose the bulbs but they pout for awhile. Don't panic if you don't see anything the following year-they will return eventually.

Thanks birder17, I think I will wait until; they bloom this year and then move them. That way I will get to enjoy them and if they pout next year I will know why. Thank you for sharing that experience with me. At least I know what to expect!

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Welcome! :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.