I just found this! What do you think?

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

I just found this on Calico Jack. I have never had a daylily do this before. I was going to move this one to my ditch line. Now I need to know what it will do. lol Has anybody had this happen before? Any information would be greatly appreciated. It's a decent size clump and only one fan has this stripe. I've had this daylily for 3 or 4 years and this is the only time I have had it do this.

Thumbnail by taylordaylily Thumbnail by taylordaylily
West St. Paul, MN

I have no idea. That is strange!

Jamestown, NY(Zone 5a)

taylordaylily
As I understand it, variegation on a plant can occur from a disease (especially a virus). I am guessing that this is a natural mutation. That is how a lot of new plants are found. Then the person keeps breeding them.
I would keep the plant where it is, to make sure it is not diseased. You wouldn't want to spread anything. I really think that it would be neat to see if the plant is only a mutation and if it will come back that way.

West St. Paul, MN

I think Garden56 may be on the right track. I wondered about the possibility of a mutation or a sport of the original. I could turn out to be interesting.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

The stripe doesn't go all the way through the leaf. The other side is plain green. So, weird!
I'm going to leave it where it is to observe this strange deformity. It's like a racing stripe. lol I'll keep posting on it's progress.

Enterprise, AL(Zone 8b)

Here is a link to an explanation on the variegation:
http://www.daylilynetwork.org/blogpost/660039/136750/What-Is-This-Daylily-With-Variegated-Foliage

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Almost look like a tulip from where I am standing, uhhh sitting! LOL!
Very unusual.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Seedfork, Thank You for the link. It was very helpful. I'll leave it were it is. I think mine is a oddity. It's only on half the fan. But, the fan is only about 2" tall at this time. I'll post pictures every week or so to share.

Mike, Lol It looks funny because I had to enlarge and get close up. I'll try to get better pictures of it today. Lol I don't grow Tulips. I hate their foliage. I'm a Narcissus girl. You don't have to dig them and their foliage doesn't look as bad as Tulip foliage does. The blooms hold up to weather better also.

This oddity has messed up my new bed plans. Lol I was giving that daylily the boot to the ditch. It's spot was going to get a new tenet. Now, Chili Spice is looking for a vacancy sign.

Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

Rich Howard has this daylily and it's called Idenity Crisis. I couldn't find the picture showing the daylily with the white stripe with the flower on it.

Thumbnail by Roseman2 Thumbnail by Roseman2
Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

I get an ocassional variagation on a daylily but it usually isn't permanent. I have been growing daylilies for 20 plus years and have never heard of a daylily disease like this. In fact, my garden is inspected yearly by the state and they have not told me of any disease like this.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Roseman, Wow, Identity Crisis is pretty neat! I looked it up on the AHS. It says the scapes and buds are often half white and half green and also says it has variegated foliage 80% of the time. I'm adding this one to my want list. It would be fun to breed it and see if it's kids are funky also.

Hemlady, Do you think it's a disease? The bigger leaf doesn't have the stripe all the way through it. There is a smaller leaf that has the strip and it's all the way through the leaf. It doesn't look variegated it looks like a racing stripe. lol
What would you do with it? I was going to leave it alone and watch it.
I'm going to cut part of it off and look at it under the microscope. I need to see what is going on up close.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Taylordaylily, I would leave it and see what happens. I agree with you on Identity Crisis.

Mount Sterling, KY(Zone 6b)

That is very interesting, taylordaylily. Be sure and keep us posted on it's progress.

Thanks for the link Seedfork, that is also very interesting. I love things that are variegated. But then, I tend to be attracted to the unusual. This is the first time I have seen variegated Daylilies. Fascinating!

This message was edited Apr 5, 2014 9:45 AM

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Taylordaylily, I would just leave it alone. Last summer I had a daylily leave that fasciated. If you have never seen that happen before it is really weird. The leave looked like twice its normal width.

West St. Paul, MN

Hemlady: I have never seen any of my DLs fasciate. But I do have some regular lilies that do that on occasion. It is indeed a strange looking phenomena.

Cataddict- do they repeat that variegated foliage or it is a one time thing?

West St. Paul, MN

Nanny23: I've only seen it having multiple stems, leaves, or flowers "welded" together. It doesn't seem to be related to color. That is: fasciation. A "sport" is usually the same form of the parent plant but a different color. I believe in most cases, it remains the new color.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

I'm going to leave it alone and watch it. It's looking funnier everyday. lol It's growing out not up. Like it's trying to lay down or something. All of the fans in the clump seem to be doing this growing out thing. The stripe is still only on the 1 fan. The stripe seems to be getting darker on the newer foliage starting to come out. It's hard to get good pictures due to it's small size and the bright sun today. I'm going to try to get a better picture later after the sun drops some. The stripe is still only on half the fan. Foliage coming from the left side of the crown are normal. Foliage coming from the right side of crown have a stripe. I'll keep everybody up to date on what happens.

Hemlady, I haven't had that happen yet. Thank You for the heads up. Now, if it does I won't be freaking out. lol

Nanny 23, From what I have been reading. It sounds like it stays sometimes and reverts back other times. The variegated forms seem to list a average of how often they variegate. I'm sure in time they will have more constant variegation bred into them. Maybe, they will have better luck with variegation than they have had with a blue daylily :)

Thank You to everybody for you help and input. I appreciate all of your thoughts :)

Thumbnail by taylordaylily Thumbnail by taylordaylily
Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

The picture & seed pod that I posted of Idenity of Crisis, Rich said that it throws variegated 80 o/o of the time.& he has the daylily for sale.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Rich who?

West St. Paul, MN

@ taylordaylily" Now that you have updated your photo, it looks to me like it has what's known as 'spring sickness'. (The sideways thing.) But, that shouldn't have anything to do with it's leaf color. Here is a link about 'spring sickness'. http://www.daylilies.org/ahs_dictionary/spring_sickness.html

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

I had heard of spring sickness. This is the first time I have seen it. Thank You!

West St. Paul, MN

You are welcome. I have had it before at various times, but never with the same daylily. However, the fan that has it is "shot" for the year. (It can be just one fan in a whole clump)

Also, I think "Rich" may be Rich Howard. He is seller 'Rich' on the Lily Auction. I'm just guessing...

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

It seems the whole clump has spring sickness. It's not a impressive daylily anyway. I was going to dig it up when I found the stripe. lol

I found Rich on the LA. I didn't see any listings for Identity Crisis. :( I did find Eyes Right Jones. lol That is why I try to stay away from the LA. There is always something I want on there! Gets me into trouble. lol I'm out of bonus's and raises for the year. lol Not sure what I'll call this purchase. lol

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Taylordaylily, call this one a "Mother's Day" gift to yourself ! Sounds good uhh! LOL!
That is the "Rich" that Roseman2 was referring to.
On Rich's website he is showing Identity Crisis as display. Waiting for increase ?
http://www.ctdaylily.com/pricelist05_I.html

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

It does sound good! I would have to call it Mothers Day gift part 2. LOL It could work. :)
Thanks for the link. I'll keep a eye on it. It's a good thing for me it's not available at this time. My spring spending has been a little out of hand. Only a little! lol

Picture is of Zuni Thunderbird. I have talked my son into a trade for some of this one. I drooled over it last year. Now, it will be mine!

Thumbnail by taylordaylily
West St. Paul, MN

@ taylordaylily: Zuni Thunderbird is gorgeous. Ned Roberts created some really nice ones. One of my favorites of his was 'Dixie Rooster' (Dang it! I can't get the picture to load!)It is actually MUCH darker than the photo shows. But I swear it had more 'movement' than any of them that I've owned.

Also, I meant to tell you that 'Eyes Right Jones' is a Nan Wilkerson creation. Normally you can find her at Bee Bayou Daylilies. But, for some reason, her server seems to be down. She is a very nice, generous lady.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Zuni Thunderbird was a bud builder with only 2 fans last year. It's a heavy rebloomer. I've talked my son into a trade for Raptor Rap. Being 8 he only cares about their names. Which works good for me. lol
I looked up Dixie Rooster. I like it! I'm a sucker for UF's and spiders. Another one for the want list. lol

Thanks for the tip on Nan Wilkerson. It's probably best her server is down. I need to stop spending on spring planting. lol I have little self control when it comes to daylilies. It gets me into trouble with my DH. He's a understanding person but, we all have out limits. lol

Here are some of my favorite UF's or spiders.
Pic 1 Malicious Rumors
Pic 2 Parade of Peacocks
Pic 3 Heavenly Mr.Twister
Pic 4 Fitzasaurus
pic 5 Purple Cheeta was a bonus from Bnich last year. Every bloom looks different.

Thumbnail by taylordaylily Thumbnail by taylordaylily Thumbnail by taylordaylily Thumbnail by taylordaylily Thumbnail by taylordaylily
BELLEVILLE, IL(Zone 6b)

I like the Malicious Rumors Karen, but they are all pretty :)..I feel a Flow chart coming on..

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Thanks! Lol Malicious Rumors was new last year. We'll see how many fans it has. :)

West St. Paul, MN

All your pics are beautiful! I used to have 'Parade of Peacocks'. At clump strength it really puts on a tall, eyecatching display.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

TD those are all nice ones. I bought ZT from a lady in the classified a couple years ago and when it bloomed it was something else. Not complaining because all the other ones were correct at a great price.
Noid

Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB
Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Cataddict, This will be my 3rd year for Parade Of Peacocks. I'm hoping it will have a nice show this year. I'm excited about this bloom season. I got Free Wheelin again last year. The first time I bought it a chipmunk thought I planted him dinner. This time it's been left alone. I can't wait to see it bloom! I have some seeds growing of Eight Miles High x seedling. They came as a bonus with a order. I can't wait to see them bloom in the distant future.

Mike, If you can wait a year for mine to increase. I would be happy to share some ZT with you.
It's disappointing to wait for a bloom and then get something different. Even if the noid is nice it's still not what you had planned for. You did get a nice noid but, it's not ZT. Glad you hadn't paid a lot for it. That kinda softens the blow. Lol

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

TD, LOL for sure. The noid is a decent flower. When I get around to it I am going to send her a pic and see if she can tell me what it is. Patience is the name of the game. I am 10% sure I have something that I can trade with you. LOL!

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Mike, lol Only 10% huh. Lol I'll put your name on the first 2 fans I have.
Let me know what your noid turns out to be. GoodLuck getting a id for it. I've had about 50/50 luck with getting answers about noids.

Big News! A hawk flew off with a chipmunk a minute ago. I love that hawk! Hope he comes back for more chipmunks!

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

A couple years ago I saw one with a squirrel. I have a home video of one trying to catch one. It was so funny. I haven't seen any chipmunk around here. Not wishing for any. They can all stay in your neighborhood. LOL!

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Ok, ya'll have had entirely WAYYYY too much influence on me and I finally gave in and headed to the LA...........of course, I shouldn't have! But I have been busy cleaning on that bed every evening after work and dreaming of DLs and I just couldn't resist any longer. Ordered Council Fire bc it was on my list of late bloomers, Hold your Horses because i have been wanting it for quite a while, Talequah Flame (that was the kicker that led me to the LA to begin with....) and Smiling Tiger. I eventually want to do a purple and gold bed that also has Tiger names because my husband and all three kids are "tigers" where the university colors are purple, gold and white. So, I thought smiling Tiger was a good start. I also have All American Tiger (my husband was an All american FB player at that university) and Zephyr John picked out at Marietta Gardens........ but I might refrain on those for now.

Self restraint is NOT one of my virtues. lol Good luck!!!

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Genna, don't stop now!! LOL!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.