Male wild turkey displaying

Burrillville, RI

I'm brand new to this site and I thought I'd introduce myself. I live in Rhode Island, and I'd like to share one of the pictures I've taken of the wild turkeys that visit my yard here in Burrillville, RI. The main reason I joined this web site is to learn more about how I can make my yard more wildlife-friendly year-round through the planting decisions I make. Of particular interest is incorporating more native plants. I've been fairly successful so far, but there is still so much to learn. I look forward to learning and sharing with all of you.

Thumbnail by louisevad
Pueblo, CO(Zone 5b)

You have probably already heard the mantra of food- shelter-water. I want to remind you to think about insects. Our migratory birds eat mostly insects, so you want to encourage insects. Food for insects: look at lists for larval host plants for butterflies for your area, and lists for beneficials and pollinators, too. Un-mown native grasses and mulch are both good insect habitat. Water: for insects this often means mud, so encourage a damp to boggy spot somewhere. Shelter: you might want to put your insect patch where it gets some shelter from the wind. Native trees with course bark provide nooks and crannies for bugs, too.

Quick easy insect plants are cilantro and dill.

This message was edited Mar 31, 2014 3:52 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.