Fabulous flamboyant fruit

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

Why is it that we're so attracted to trees & shrubs having this quality? I'm guessing you all know what I'm talking about, but just in case you may not, I'd be referring to groups like Viburnum, Sambucus, and ...ok, you can take over from here.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Because Homo sapiens has a long history of a fruit-based diet in its evolution.

Resin

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Some flamboyance from years past ...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1140833/

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/802338/

Hmmm... I'm obviously doing something wrong with the links.
They work if you cut & paste into browser.
Where are all the 12-year olds to help me with computer issues when I need them?

This message was edited Mar 31, 2014 1:46 PM

This message was edited Mar 31, 2014 1:48 PM

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Links worked just fine for me - just blew off an hour reading through some of the "good ol' days"...

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

They worked for me as well. I missed these threads the first time around, but definitely enjoying them now. There are many, many great pictures...displaying a who's who of fantastic fruit production.

"The whole reason for berries is to attract birds, that's what they're for!

Resin"

After looking through this I realize my landscape is lacking in fruiting plants and I need to do something about it. This is a good start.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

I just put a buttload (technical term) of berry producers in for this year. The list:

1 Amalanchier alnifolia 'Smokey'
1 Amalanchier alnifolia 'Northline'
12 Aronia arbutifolia
1 Viburnum dilatatum 'Michael Dodge'
1 Viburnum dilatatum 'Erie'
1 Viburnum nudum 'Winterthur'
1 Viburnum nudum 'Brandywine'
2 Photinia villosa

That's in addition to our 30 pyracantha 'mohave', 3 Ilex Verticillata, 1 Callicarpa dichotoma 'Issai', 1 Mahonia Bealei, 1 Cotoneaster apiculatus, and 3 Ilex 'Nellie R. Stevens'

I know it sound like I'm peacocking but I really can't help it because I'm so excited for all the berries this fall!!!

(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

Nice list, congrats Sequoia! Can't wait to see pics of all those berries.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks, me either! I'm excited to see all the birds go nuts. It was so cool watching the robins eat the pyracantha berries last September. They hop off the ground and there would be 10+ of them at times.

(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

I bet that's cool! :-)

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Wow, you've already got them in the ground?? Pretty impressive!
My usual method is to wait 'til it's unbearably hot stressing both me & the plant.
Not sure who gets the worst of it...

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

Quote from Weerobin :
Wow, you've already got them in the ground?? Pretty impressive!
My usual method is to wait 'til it's unbearably hot stressing both me & the plant.
Not sure who gets the worst of it...

That's funny. If you include mosquitoes in that description, you would then have my method. ;)

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Haha...I start as early as possible. This year it was 3/8 for my first workday in the yard. Last year was 3/2. I didn't plant anything until 3/15 this year though. It was funny because I was mulching and there was still snow on the ground.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.