Tree Identification Needed

Lady's Island, SC(Zone 8b)

I live in SC Zone 8b and my neighbor has a tree next to my fence. In fall, it seeded itself on my side of the fence, so I dug it up about 2 months ago when it was about 15 inches tall. I potted it up and just left it outside. A frost hit it and the few leaves it had died. A week ago, I noticed new buds forming. Yeah! So, I was hoping someone can identify what type of tree it is from the few decent pics I was able to take of it.

Thanks!

Thumbnail by SavvyDaze Thumbnail by SavvyDaze Thumbnail by SavvyDaze
Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

I think we all were hoping you would take some more (clearer) pictures of this plant, including:

Step back and get a shot of the whole plant.

Take some closeups of the individual leaves, buds, stems, etc. If you need to snip off a branch and take it indoors in order to get a clear image, go for it. Undersides of leaves tells additional stories.

That makes a lot of difference in trying to identify a plant that looks like a lot of southern broadleaf evergreens (and there are a LOT) when not in bloom.

Well, I went over and took some more pictures and tried to get the best shots possible. Mind you, the tree obviously has issues and many leaf spots. I tried to get a shot of the whole tree, but with oak trees all around it, it kind of just blends in.

I did notice some white, puff ball looking things at the ends of some of the branches. I didn't see them there the other day when I took the pictures.

Thumbnail by SavvyDaze Thumbnail by SavvyDaze Thumbnail by SavvyDaze Thumbnail by SavvyDaze Thumbnail by SavvyDaze

This tree has been identified over in the Plant Identification forum as a Symplocos.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.