bed partners?

Saint Pauls, NC(Zone 7b)

I am new to lilies and have started a bed with the very generous help of another lily lover. However, I was wondering what else can I add to the bed to complement the lilies. Should I just let the lilies fill in the space and enjoy the greenery or is there something that other gardeners use to create more color once the lilies have put on their show?
the bed is currently 17 feet long and about 4.5 feet deep. Full sun. Zone 7b.

Thumbnail by emnotcrazee
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Oh, nice sunny spot!

Ornamental grasses are great lily companions: The stems disappear! Pic.1

Nicotiana alata (pic) 2

Campanula Bernice (pic 3)

Platycodons (pic 4)

Baptisia australis and drumstick allium (pic. 5)

Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Borage and feverfew (watch the seeding, but it comes back every year); hey, what stems?

Salvia coccinea, which come in white and pink.

And nepeta

Borage, feverfew, nicotiana alata, salvia and platycodons can all be grown very easily from seed. Borage, feverfew and nicotiana alata can be direct seeded.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Jamestown, NY(Zone 5a)

My mother is in your zone and I have visited her several times. I personally like a bed with a lot of color throughout the season, so we both have planted our lilies among other plants.
I like Salvia and Nepta also. May I also suggest something like a daylily or rudbeckia or coneflower to give more of a seasonal display. My mom has had luck with mums and daisies also.
I do know that lilies like their "head in the sun and their feet in the shade." Any other plant you pick should tolerate mulch, since you should be mulching your lilies.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.