Oakes Daylilies in Farm & Ranch Living Magazine

Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

I dug around and didn't see anything about this, so I apologize in advance if this has already been posted.

I just got my latest issue of Farm & Ranch Living magazine and right there on page 24 begins a very nice story about Oakes Daylilies. Pretty photos as all!

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Terri, I haven't seen anything posted in this regards. Thanks for the heads up.

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

I got an Oakes Catalog about a week ago. I hadn't received one from them in a number of years. Didn't really see anything I had to have and the prices for the older ones are higher than what I could get for them on the Lily Auction.

West St. Paul, MN

When I first started my daylily addiction, I bought numerous DLs from Oakes. The prices were good, service fantastic, and the plants were beautiful. However, at some point in time, I believe they may have been bought out by ??? (can't remember name). At any rate, their prices increased dramatically. I'm with you, hemlady.

St. Simon's Island, GA(Zone 9a)

I just got an order from Oakes just this week, and they were huge roots! Beautiful! I have ordered from a few other places, but none of them even come close to the size and excellent condition of Oakes.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Happytail we are happy for you ! LOL!!

West St. Paul, MN

When I first started ordering DLs, I got a lot from Oakes. They were really good and huge. That was about 25 years ago. They were also reasonably priced. I am glad to know they are still large and healthy. A number of years back, I believe they were bought out by a larger company, the prices went sky high and I haven't ordered from them since.

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

I haven't ordered from Oakes in years either. They want high prices for a daylily that is 20 years old when elsewhere you could get it for $5.

I got some on this order for $5 each, and they were really large and healthy. I also got some for $8 dollars, and they always send free ones with each order. Now, there were some they had that were much more expensive, but they also have reasonably priced ones too.

West St. Paul, MN

I am glad to hear that, happytail. They did have wonderful plants. Let me warn you: As your addiction to DLs progresses, you will probably start wanting more recent introductions. THAT is when we start quibbling about prices. LOL!!!

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

I agree with Cataddict !!

I don't buy what I can find locally (and I work at a very large local garden center) but when I'm looking for something specific (color, size, etc.) I look first at Oakes. I planted a group of three plants, and after I separated the clumps, I ended up with 11 little plants. If I can just keep the deer off of them, daylilies do great for me. Wish I could say the same for Agapanthus...

West St. Paul, MN

I'm glad to hear that you don't buy at your garden center. Many of them are not true to their name due to tissue culture. I CAN tell you that there are quite a few reputable breeders down in Georgia. Just do a google for Georgia daylily breeders. I am doing my best to enable your addiction. LOLOL!

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

In GA, bellsdaylilygarden.com comes to mind. I am expecting my order soon. Very nice people to do business with.
I would think that while working you could wait until the flower bloom and then decide. I have been at Menards and recognize flowers in bloom and check the name and it did match up.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I really like Oakes. Excellent customer service. Very friendly and they do keep you informed about your order. They aren't exactly local for me but they are just a few hours away in the eastern part of the state.

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener
Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Looking good CG!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Thanks, Mike. Now to get them planted today. One last big push. :)

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

I have ordered from Oakes before. That was before I knew about the LA. They have great customer service and send very nice fans. Their prices are high and that is why I haven't ordered from them lately. If you live close to them. They have a daylily festival in June. It's beautiful to walk around and look at. They also give a free plant to everybody that comes to the festival. I went in 2011 and received Janice Brown as a free gift plant. It had 7 fans. We stopped by on our way home from vacation. They also have a photo contest. The winner gets $200. Gift certificate. We all take pictures. :)

Civille, Your order looks great! You should get to see some blooms this year. Yeah! Please, Don't forget to share pictures when they bloom. :) Tennessee Flycatcher is a nice one. You'll really like it!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Thanks, td. I'm looking forward to seeing them bloom. Yes, Oakes is a bit more expensive than some places but those cost me nothing so I can't complain. I need to stay away from auctions. I'm a sucker for all kinds of them and I know how to bid, bid, bid. :-D)))

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Civille, Yeah, I have the bidding problem these days. lol I need to stay off the LA. I have plenty of daylilies coming already. We won't talk about the other garden plants that I needed to have. lol

If I had a Gift Certificate I would order from Oakes also. I don't blame you a bit. They always send nice healthy plants you had nothing to loose.

Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

I know there are other daylily nurseries, but I always seem to wander back to Oakes. Guess I just feel comfortable there....

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

There is nothing wrong with that. You know you'll always get healthy plants. :) Take pictures of your blooms and enter their photo contest. You could win a gift certificate. They have the rules listed on their website. Good Luck!

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

I have been getting catalogs from Oakes for years and years. It always surprises me how high their prices are; I have bought the 5.00 ones and maybe one or two more. The rhizomes are large and healthy, and you will have a healthy sized clump a lot quicker. So consider the year or two of growth you are getting for the price. But I usually buy from other sources!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.