Where to put 'Molly the Witch"

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

Hi Peony People. I got a Paeonia mlokosewitschii in a gallon pot for just $14.99 on Saturday. I first noticed it for the pretty leaves, which do not look like my other peonies. It was an impulse purchase so now I have to put it somewhere. The leaves were pretty enough that I might put it by a Geranium x magnificum at my entryway. I think they might even bloom at the same time, but even if not the leaf contrast would be lovely. It would be directly by the path so seen close up all the time. Some peonies flop terribly, and are not very attractive after flowering, so if this is likely to do so it can't go there. Also, my book says 2 ft tall, but if it is likely to be much taller it should not go there. I garden near Seattle, this spot is full sun. If Molly wants a bit of shade I will have to put her somewhere else.
What do you all think?
p.s. I might like to try growing seedlings for trade, as there seem to be lots of folks looking for Molly in the tradelists. . Nearby are two tree peonies, and two Paeonia lutea. Bartzella is in the backyard. Is Molly likely to come true to seed?

Thumbnail by Pistil
Victoria, BC(Zone 8a)

Hi. I hope someone comes along with actual experience with this plant. I am germinating Mloko seeds. That being said, I have never heard of molly being floppy. Also, I'd say yes to full sun. Peonies do not come true from the parent plant but they may look just like them. However, "species peonies are self-fertile and, in the absence of other peony species, will produce seed true to type. They will, however, easily cross with other peonies and so unless the species is isolated, hybrids may well occur" - RHS

For me, $15 for your molly sounds like a great price. Well done!

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Here's my Molly which just opened yesterday.
We had a heavy rain overnight and it's still standing tall.
I find the foliage attractive and the seed pods can be entertaining as well.
I site mine in open shade (under fairly high tree canopy with just morning sun).
I have several other species peonies which do spectacularly in the same setting.
P. japonica, p. obovata, p wittmanniana, p mairei and p rockii to name a few.
In your climate, they might do better with full sun. They'd cook in full sun here.
2nd picture shows how it is a bee magnet.
3rd is the foliage & habit (& my shoe, I see...)
You can see, it's still a young plant.

Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin
Victoria, BC(Zone 8a)

Even young, it is a very pretty plant, Weerobin. Is it less than 2 feet tall in that pic?
Very nice.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I would guess it's right at 2ft tall presently.

Caldwell, NJ(Zone 6a)

I can't find a nursery source for Molly. Can you reccommend one?

Hi Arfitz
I can strongly recommend Edelweiss Perennials in Oregon, he sells it for $18, but shipping across the country could be expensive. It could be dangerous to your wallet in other ways too once you start looking at his other stuff!

http://www.edelweissperennials.com/Large_Image.aspx?nm=478&gclid=CMmQx8WFgr4CFVKIfgodl4oApg

p.s. I planted 'Molly' by my G. magnificum, ripping out a ugly Helianthemum and some 'Angelina' sedum. We'll see how my plan works.

Springfield, OR(Zone 8a)

Looking forward to seeing the result, mlm.

Molly is fine, but has not grown much. I will post photos next year, even if she does not bloom.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.