Pond Heating Problem

Sedona, AZ

I have a problem I am hoping a member can help with. I have a 7,000 gallon pond that is approximately 3 ft deep. The water temperature is ranging from 58 - 60 degrees. Air temps this time of year are typically from 40 - 79 degrees. I have 5 Koi arriving from Hawaii Wednesday morning. After I made this (non-refundable) purchase, I was told the water temperature needs to be between 72-75 degrees. I have been looking for pond heaters online, but most I see are "deicers" as opposed to heaters. HELP!

This message was edited Mar 22, 2014 11:11 AM

Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

Bonita.... I'm not sure that you have to heat your water. I would make sure that you temper the new koi bag with the current pond water temps. Float the bag for quite a while and then slowly release. I would hold off feeding them for a day or so, and then maybe lightly once (they usually don't feed them for a day or 2 prior to shipping) but I'd make it something light (even Cheerios or green peas) Then hold off a day or 2 to see how well they are adjusting. Although the water is cool, remember, there are many ponders up north who have koi that survive snow and ice. The main thing is to not stress them, that seems to do more damage than anything else.

Sedona, AZ

Thanks for that, MerryMary, & I don't disagree with regards to the ponders up north who have Koi. In fact, I put the pond in between July and August of this past year and have about 20-30 (aquarium-sized) fish that "wintered over" successfully. However, they had time on their side, allowing them to build-up fat (or whatever the aquatic version of that might be) to be ready for the colder temps gradually. The crew coming-in from Hawaii will already be stressed from their journey and they have not been "winterized", in that they are accustomed to water temps of 72-75 degrees, hence my concern. I especially appreciate your comments with regards to their initial/early on-feeds, and will be sure to adjust accordingly.

This is my very first posting via "Dave's Gardens" and yours my very first reply. Thanks, MerryMary. "You 'are tops1'" in all regards!!!

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

water heaters are available at Pentair Aquatic Eco-Systems Inc. 1--877-347--4788 This no. is for phone orders and tech advice. Dennis Delong is tech advisor in this dept.
Hope this helps.

Bonnie

Sedona, AZ

Hi BonnieGardens and thanks for this information. Do you know if they have a web site?

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Sorry I forgot to include it. PentairAES.com e-mail PAES.General@Pentair.com They have just been bought out by Pentair so I have to think of new name.

Their techs are very happy to furnish info. When I have sick fish I really bug them every day.
Good luck. PS no. I gave you is toll free.
Bonnie

Sedona, AZ

Hello Again BonnieGardens,

I have both called & left them a message as well as sent them an e-mail. I went to their web site first. Only the second site I've been to with "water heaters" as opposed to merely "deicers". Their prices look to be approximately 1/2 the cost of those listed on the first site as well. Looks to be a GREAT resource for this specific situation and wonderful to know of in general.

Thank you!

Athens, PA

Welcome Bonita. Looking forward to seeing pictures of your pond.

Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

We're a happy (and yakky!) group! :)

Athens, PA

^_^

Definitely!

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

We help each other all the time and you will receive help also I'm sure.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.