??s regarding how to save seeds from ground cherries.

Fowlerville, MI(Zone 5b)

I'm growing ground cherries for the first time this year. Are the seeds inside the fruit, like they are in a tomato, and do I need to ferment the seeds in order to save them, like I do with tomatoes? Are the seeds mature when the fruit is ripe? I want to make sure I save seeds for next year! :-)

Glenda

Fowlerville, MI(Zone 5b)

I found a wonderful article on ground cherries, which includes how to save its seeds, at the link below. This sounds like the PERFECT plant to grow and enjoy with our 6 grandchildren! They will LOVE them!!! ......I'm excited to try them myself! :-)

http://www.cog.ca/uploads/TCOG%20Articles/Ground%20cherries.pdf

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

Great link. I grew these and Cape Gooseberries for the second season last yr and it's good to know that these 2 don't x. I've read that they are poisonous if eaten when they aren't fully ripe, thus they should be allowed to fully ripen and drop from the plant, before being consumed. I noticed that after planting them once they readily reseed and very few make it back to the house bc I eat them in the garden...lol. I thought they germinated really fast and I would almost consider them a weed. In my climate I don't start them ahead of time but direct seed them in case the others didn't reseed. The plant doesn't really need to be staked, it's a small tidy shrub that will produce tons of fruit with very little effort on your part. Let us know how it goes, please.

Fowlerville, MI(Zone 5b)

Will do, 1lisac!! I'm excited to grow them!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.