What's ailing these orchids?

Rhinebeck, NY

There are a number of things wrong here, I think.
Can anyone help identify the problem(s)?
Any input will be deeply appreciated!

Thumbnail by JB_in_Rhinebeck Thumbnail by JB_in_Rhinebeck
Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

My first guess is that they have been over watered. Add to that not enough light. In the "sticky" at the top of this page there are lots of links to culture.

Rhinebeck, NY

Thanks for the ideas.
I was thinking virus.
PLENTY of light where they are and they remain fairly dry, but those are good ideas.

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

I didn't notice that those are all Phalaenopsis. In that case they may be getting too much light. It looks like you've gotten water in the crown of the plant and it is rotting. Phals are very fussy that way. In nature they hang down from trees so the water can't stand in the crown. In the house one has to be careful not to get water there in the first place. If you do, it can be removed with a twisted tissue or blown out through a straw.

Rhinebeck, NY

Thanks, again.
Water in the crowns is possible.

You don't think that's virus?
It looks more like the pictures of virus in my orchid books than like crown rot.

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

I've never seen a virus in person, so I can't say. When in doubt, isolate the suspect, and to prevent the spread, always sterilize tools between each plant.

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

These orchids are sun burned and not virused. Viruses are a lot more uncommon today than when I started growing orchids. The spotted leaves are fungal looking and not ring spot. That is a secondary problem to what else is going on. Though hard to tell from photos, several look to have crown rot. If there's no active growth central to the plant it's rotted. It's not that your Phals got too much light but it looks like they got moved or the sun conditions changed rapidly. Phals can take a lot more light than people think.

It appears your plants are in decorative containers. Those containers do not drain or breath. Most orchids, Phals included, grow with their roots dangling in the air and not contained. Think of them as too fat ladies in corsets.They are not so tough to grow but require a different mindset from other houseplants.

Rhinebeck, NY

Thanks for all the info.
It all helps.

Granite City, IL(Zone 6a)

Since the subject of crown rot was mentioned I'm wondering how you soak an orchid in water with OUT it getting water into the the crown thus causing crown rot. I just don't understand how it's possible to soak it without getting water into the crown. Can someone explain to me please? And thanks in advance.

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

When watering monopodial orchids (ones that grow up and not out), especially Phalaenopsis, soak the pot and not the plant. Growers often grow this genus on slant racks because they water from overhead. Otherwise they hand water. Paphiopedilums are a monopodial that are a general exception to this rule because they grow on the terrestrial floor and have adapted to getting wet in the middle. If water gets into the crown of a Phalaenopsis remove it by tipping the plant, then twist the tip of a paper tower and insert the tip into the crown like an orchid QTip. Other orchids generally don't mind getting wet all over. New leads on Cattleyas can be susceptible especially if you over water during cool weather and the water gets trapped before the sheath splits and the leaf opens. Brief water in the crown is not a problem. It's when it's left there.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.