Growing like mad year after year

Windsor, CA(Zone 9b)

This beauty has popped up almost overnight. I do not do anything to it and every year it sends out new shoots and grows in size. And the flower color is exquisite against the fresh green shrubbery. I have always called it 'Coral Sunset' but really do not know. xuling

Thumbnail by xuling Thumbnail by xuling
Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

It's gorgeous!

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

And you can expect it to continue. The "Corals" are known for rapid growth and maturity. I was at the Klehm peony farm and he commented that these plants, especially Pink Hawaiian Coral, can hardly be held back, and he divided them frequently.

Good choice - what a beauty!.

Windsor, CA(Zone 9b)

I just took some more pics and as soon as I find a moment I will post them. You will see how many are in bloom and how many still unopened. xuling

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Gorgeous blooms xuling! I looking forward to seeing more of your blooms.

Donna, thanks for the info about the corals, last week I ordered Coral Supreme and Pink Hawaiian Coral from Fina Gardens, to be delivered this fall. I'm really excited to hear that they grow rapidly.

Annette

This message was edited Apr 1, 2014 10:41 PM

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

xuling, I look forward to your beautiful blooms too! You grow completely different plants from me. I love that!

Annette, my pleasure!

Brigham City, UT(Zone 5b)

That is beautiful. I am looking forward to mine. They are only about 6" tall. Still cold and snowy here.

Windsor, CA(Zone 9b)

Here are some more current pics. The first two were March 31 and the second two were today. This Peony is so much bigger that last year and has so many more flowers on long stems that it is knocking my socks off, so to speak. xuling

Thumbnail by xuling Thumbnail by xuling Thumbnail by xuling Thumbnail by xuling
Windsor, CA(Zone 9b)

Sorry about the last photo. It was slightly breezy and therefore the photo is a little blurry, but I think still beautiful. x

South Lake Tahoe, CA(Zone 6a)

Gorgeous plants!
Anytime you intend on dividing these beauties please let me know.
We can do a trade if you like.

Olathe, KS(Zone 5a)

I have Pink Hawaiian Coral, I moved a piece from the old house. There, it tripled in size in just a few years, while other peonies only gradually increased. It is a beauty. It does fade fast in the sun. But if it is cloudy when it starts, the color is fantastic.

Windsor, CA(Zone 9b)

Hola, I had no idea they could be divided; although I have done that with Hostas. Not sure I would want to do that but probably is necessary to keep them healthy???? It has more new shoots this year. The plant is wonderful. xuling

Windsor, CA(Zone 9b)

The buds fade as they open wider and the flowers fall off. Most of the bud growth and flowering has been in cool, rainy, and cloudy weather so maybe that is why the colors are extra brilliant this season. Although they are always beautiful in the beginning anyway. xuling

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Spectacular blooms xuling, it's nice to see such a vibrant color at this time of year.

Olathe, KS(Zone 5a)

I planted last fall: (all in some shade - hope it works)
In one group = pink hawaiian coral (piece), coral charm (new), coral sunset (new).
Alone = elsa sass (new - had before).
Alone = vivid rose (new - had before - my favorite)
In another group = bo peep (new), pink lemonade (piece), top brass (piece).

This message was edited Apr 3, 2014 9:41 PM

Victoria, BC(Zone 8a)

What a show, xuling! That is one heck of a plant you have there. Thank you for the pictures.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Is it fragrant? Stunningly beautiful, but peonies need to be fragrant. ^_^

Windsor, CA(Zone 9b)

it has some fragrance, nice fragrance, but not like the roses. Only fragrant roses are real roses. all others are frauds. but I know nothing about peonies. don't even know why I bought it since it is in a cactus garden!! well there are other perennials. The flower info available when I purchased it must have said fragrance or I would not have bought it. xuling

Windsor, CA(Zone 9b)

I forgot about the 50-75 Bearded Iris in the Cactus bed also. I just lie a lot! xuling

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

The reason I fell in love with peonies at all is this anonymous plant at my first house turned out to be an EXTREMELY fragrant peony. At my next house I planted one (I think "Shirley Temple") and I made sure it was a fragrant one but it wasn't as amazing.

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

I like to mix fragrant ones with the eye candy so the senses are sufficiently fooled. Although googling yields a big list, my fragrance favorite is Duchesse Denemours because it is fairly subtle. Edens Perfume is supposed to be very fragrant, but Eden's Temptation, which is the one I found, isn't bad on that score either.

My corals aren't especially fragrant but it's a small fault. Love your pics, Yuling. California must be a lovely place about now and always, or are you in Canada?

Windsor, CA(Zone 9b)

Windsor California. This small town is 65 miles north of San Francisco on Hwy 101 in the middle of the Sonoma County grape growing region. About 20 miles from the Pacific Ocean as the crow flies. I love to travel but do not want to live anywhere else. xuling

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

You must have a wonderful climate for whatever you want to grow, Xuling.

Windsor, CA(Zone 9b)

The weather doesn't get cold enough for long periods for such plants as Hostas and Daffodils and similar types. I still have lots of Hostas but they are slowly disappearing. And they are a lot of trouble here as they need to be watered constantly during the summer. And at the same time the cold/freezes require that I take large burlap blankets and large used bath towels and cover the cactus/succulents during cold spells, remove them for rainy spells and recover them for cold spells and my arms are still pencil thin!! And I have a front and back yard of such plants But I still won't live anywhere else ja ja ja xuling

South Lake Tahoe, CA(Zone 6a)

Xuling ~ visit Tahoe this summer. Nice and cool by the lake, and we have boat cruises during the day for sightseeing and then there's the dinner cruise. Something special about those cruises in August when the weather is hot ~ Tahoe at its finest.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Rosemary, that's such a good idea to mix pretty ones and fragrant ones so both senses are satisfied! I don't think I have enough space for a lot more.

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

I think I'd do it this way even if i could only have two. Fragrance goes straight to the memory center of the brain, and to me, peonies are a very nostalgic plant. Thus, I have to have some heirlooms, also.

Windsor, CA(Zone 9b)

The first two photos above are from the beginning of the season and now here are two from the end. The last of the flowers and a photo of the whole plant with the seed pods. xuling

Thumbnail by xuling Thumbnail by xuling

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.