Pics of 2014 blooming season

Mountain View, HI

Buds are coming and this is my first bloom for 2014. Its Acadia (according to the seller three years ago). First time its bloomed for me.
Looking forward to seeing all your new blooms
Mike

Thumbnail by microb
Deep Run, NC(Zone 7b)

Beautiful Acadia. I have Akermanii in bloom now (below) with April Showers on the way. bob

Thumbnail by orchidman1
Dartmouth, NS(Zone 6a)

Beautiful blooms both of you. Mine haven't started yet, but it shouldn't be long now :-)

Mountain View, HI

Fresh out this morning this officially is a NOID. My neighbor's mother lives in CA. and the plant was handed down to her by her mother so my neighbor figures it has been in the family 60+ years. He returned with cuttings this Xmas so it took just 12 weeks to give a bloom. We have named it Levinicus (Levin being my neighbors last name).
The bud is Meadow Rose. Should be out this week.

Thumbnail by microb Thumbnail by microb
Mountain View, HI

Peach Magic opened up this morning

Thumbnail by microb
Mountain View, HI

New this morning on a sunny Hawaiian day - this is Meadow Rose and its bud

Thumbnail by microb Thumbnail by microb Thumbnail by microb
Pawleys Island, SC

Ooh, Those are gorgeous!. I have been looking at Meadow Rose lately. Thinking it might just find a way into my collection. Try as I might, I just cannot have 1 of each so I am becoming more and more choosy these days.

Mountain View, HI

Ibartoo - instead of saying "I just cannot" - ask "why not" My wife and I find we have a lot more fun when we can't find a reason not to do something. Go for it. Get one of each. You'll find a way.

Here is Grand Prize that opened this morning

This message was edited Apr 5, 2014 8:53 AM

Thumbnail by microb
Pawleys Island, SC

I like the way you think. I have actually been trying for years and I am just running out of space. I don't have room to overwinter too many more. LOL

Mountain View, HI

Ibartoo - I'm an Epi fanatic and like to help where I can. Maybe I should be the 'Dear Abby" for Epi growers. I think Bob does the same.

You say you have been trying for years. That means that your Epis must be fairly big. So maybe trim some down a bit, make more room, ship a box of cutting to me or share with neighbors and I will send you a cutting of those you like in the pics.

You say 'you are running our of space" Not "you have run out of space" Therefore you must have a little bit more space to use.

You say you cannot overwinter "too many more" which means you have a little room for a few more. Maybe find a friend or neighbor that could overwinter some for you. Just be close enough that you can visit to water and give care.

And remember, like my parents drilled in to me - there is no such word as "can't".

(I had to google "overwinter" to find out what is meant. We don't have that problem in Hawaii)

Have fun!!

Pawleys Island, SC

No, I don't imagine you have to "overwinter" anything there. LOL.
I think this year it will be more a matter of focusing on the cultivars I like the most ( as if I could choose), and eliminating other tender things that also take up too much space. I am also thinking I could use another greenhouse.
We shall see.
I too love to enable anyone to collect as many as possible. I just can't wait to see blooms!

Lula, GA

I am so enjoying the first blossoms of the epie season everyone is sharing. So far for me Padre blooming, in photo, and of course reliable disocactus x ackermanii is loaded with buds and blooming!!!

Brenda.

Thumbnail by wholyhosta
Pawleys Island, SC

Brenda, That is beautiful! the only one I have with buds right now is acanthorhipsalis monacantha. It is a miracle that mine survived the winter though.

Lula, GA

Thank you........and yes, it was a rough winter. We are not used to it in the South. Like that ice storm right on the coast!!!
I still have buds popping up on some of my epies, so don't give up yet!

Pawleys Island, SC

I am not giving up. Mine were very neglected again this winter because we were gone a lot. However they are coming out beautifully with the warmer weather so maybe they will take a leap and start budding. This is the only time in my life I ever remember having 2 ice storms in 1 season, let alone 1 month. I was crazy.

Mountain View, HI

Latest bloom for 2014 - Vern Pettinger

Look to the right of bloom and you can see the stem of my night bloomer. It was called a "goose neck" epi when I purchased it years ago. The stem stretches 8 feet in one direction, 6 feet in the other, with "leaves" on the end. I have to suspend the stem from roof supports. I'll see if I can find pic of bloom from last year. Is it Queen of the night?

Deep Run, NC(Zone 7b)

Very definitely Queen of the Night. To me, it is still the most beautiful.

Thumbnail by orchidman1 Thumbnail by orchidman1 Thumbnail by orchidman1
Pawleys Island, SC

There is nothing like a queen of the night in bloom!
I can't wait to get buds. My temps dropped to 40°F last night, but the epies didn't seem to mind. I am seeing lots of new growth. After last year's sunburn fiasco, it is nice to see them recovering. Till then I am drooling over your pictures. LOL keep them coming.

Mountain View, HI

New bloom today, first time bloom for me but it is a NOID

Thumbnail by microb
Pawleys Island, SC

Very pretty!

Mountain View, HI

New bloom today - Dawn of Hope

Thumbnail by microb
Mountain View, HI

New this morning. Its unfortunately a NOID but one of the largest blooms I have. First time bloom for me.

I've lost the label for the second pic. Small bloom and real prolific and frequent bloomer. Does anyone have a name. Thanks

Pawleys Island, SC

Don't have a clue for either name, but they are both gorgeous. I truly don't think I have ever seen an ugly epi bloom though. I don't believe such a thing exists.

Mountain View, HI

This is another NOID just opened this morning. Beautiful NOIDS but frustrating not having names.

I read somewhere that if you grow Epis from seed you get quicker blooms by taking cuttings once the plant puts our flat leaves. I have some 6 year old seedlings with strong flat leaves but no blooms so this morning I took eleven cuttings. Now I guess I only have to wait another three years. Lets see if the plants bloom before the cuttings :)

Thumbnail by microb
Deep Run, NC(Zone 7b)

Dawn of Hope is beautiful! I haven't seen it before.

Mountain View, HI

Bob, Hope you missed that NC tornado. Dawn of Hope has one more bloom but once its finished I will be taking some cuttings. One or two will have your name on.

Mike

Deep Run, NC(Zone 7b)

Mike: tornadoes all around us tonight. High winds(115 mph) and rain. Thanks much for the Dawn of Hope! Need some tonight. bob

Mesilla Park, NM

Mike, first want to say how beautiful your flower display is... Just gorgeous.

I also read in your post above regarding seedlings and I gave a question. I received a pod from a very generous DGer here and on its way to me all the seeds had minister inside the pod, so I potted then up in a bonsai pot with cactus mix and gravel. Here are some pictures. I am misting twice a day and am not sure I'm doing the right thing by them. Only one or redo seedlings have dried up. Should I move them into moister soil? They have been planted almost two weeks. Any advice is welcome.

Wholyhosta, your Padre is beautiful .

Thumbnail by Gourd Thumbnail by Gourd Thumbnail by Gourd Thumbnail by Gourd Thumbnail by Gourd
Mountain View, HI

Gourd - interesting pic of seedlings in the pod. That probably does not happen in the wild.

You have a challenge. They grow really slow. If they are still alive after two weeks that sounds encouraging. Questions is what will happen as they try and straighten up. I seem to recall my seedlings retained their two seed leaves for some months before a small vertical cactus like stem started to appear. Must have been a year before the young cactus reached one or two inches. It was a couple of years before flat Epi type leaves started to show.

I would keep doing what you are doing. Let nature take its course. As individual seedling get a root hold and straighten up I would gently pry them out with a root ball and put them into an individual pot with a well drained potting soil.

Always fun running an plant ICU.

Sorry can't be more specific.

Mountain View, HI

Bob - Please send d-mail with mailing address.

Mike

Lula, GA

Gourd, I agree with Mike..............growing out the seedlings is a labor of love. May be many years before you get blossoms. Did you get the name of the pod parent and the pollen parent?
You know, it is an adventure when you do take the time to do this, as you never know what you will get. I have seen photos of 8-10 pod siblings and everyone was different in blossom color and forms. Good luck.

Tarantula and Master of Mars blossoms in the greenhouse. I am afraid to move them outside until we are past Spring storms and after they are done blooming.

Thumbnail by wholyhosta Thumbnail by wholyhosta
Mountain View, HI

Nice blooms Wholyhosta!

Buds are causing sensory overload. Don't know where to look next. May will be blooming good month.

Lula, GA

Thanks!!! With your collection, Mike, overload is putting it mildly!! Add your perfect climate and ............there ya go!!!! I will be looking for epies hanging from the trees when I attend my son's wedding in 2015!!

Brenda

Mountain View, HI

Wild Plum is blooming today.

Have an old Epi plant that I nearly threw out, decided to give it a second chance and stuck its pot on the edge of the driveway outside. It now has 60 buds

Thumbnail by microb
Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

A pretty one too!

Mesilla Park, NM

Very nice color on that one.

Pawleys Island, SC

Wow! Those pics are wonderful! I love Dawn of hope, Wild Plum... What am I saying, I love them all.

Mountain View, HI

Two new blooms today - the white one is Chi Chi Castenago (strange shape branches on that one), the yellow one is a NOID. Whites and yellows are always exciting as I have so few of those colors

Mountain View, HI

New this morning is a white NOID, another Grand Prize and another Dawn of Hope
Two white ones out at the same time is nice surprise

Mountain View, HI

Latest two new variety blooms - the first one is Zorina and the Yavapai County
The third one is one of my original NOIDS

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.