Growing Mimosa seedlings in pots

West Babylon, NY(Zone 7a)

I live in zone 7a and find lots of seedlings, but when I try to grow them in pots they all die, and they are supposed to be uber hardy!

The soil was miracle gro seed starting mix, I kept them under a tree with partial shade and soil was moist most of the time. Fall comes and the trees die and never grow back in spring?

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Maybe too fertile? Mimosa, being a nitrogen-fixing plant, prefers soils which are naturally low in nitrogen. Also likes full sun.

Resin

Moving the pots can solve the sun issue, the soil here is full of clay and rocks, would that have high nitrogen?

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

The clay and rocks won't do, but the miracle gro seed starting mix will be very N-rich.

Resin

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Sorry, but Albizia julibrissin is a garbage can plant. It is a serious invasive pest plant in the south, and I wouldn't offer any help in growing it - anywhere.

If you want to "enjoy" the plant, move south! It grows almost everywhere around here, for free.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I find the seedlings have incredibly long roots. I wonder if thats part of what they don't like in pots- room for the tap root.

But ditto to VV- be sure you really want it. You already know if it gets to making seeds you fight the seedlings for ever, really.

I never had the tree, the property we moved to had it cut down, over 25 years ago! Buried under the new fence the seedlings emerged and I'd like to grow at least one, a few houses down neighbors have them. They keep them well shaped and trimmed so they do not grow too big, mabye 9 feet tops. I've never seen seedlings growing near the tree, perhaps in the open they don't live because of how cold it can get, where my seedlings were found was near a house so they get frequent water, warmth, and good soil. Older seedlings do fine but its growing them that big that's my issue, they pop up by the fence and must be moved the tree grew where the fence was and was cut to put up the fence, so all the seedlings are growing along the fence.

This message was edited Mar 22, 2014 11:21 AM

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

They have a knack for growing by the fence or foundation- (chuckle)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.