Hyacinths

Berkeley, CA(Zone 9a)

Are Hyacinths supposed to be dead-headed after blooming?

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

I do deadhead mine, I find that if don't they go to seed, and I want the energy to go into nourishing the bulb for next year's bloom. I cut the spent blooms, but leave the leaves and allow them to die down before removing them.

This message was edited Mar 17, 2014 7:58 PM

Mount Sterling, KY(Zone 6b)

The basic thing to remember about a Hyacinth is that it is a bulb, and as such, wants to be planted 6-9" deep, they should be "deadheaded" (cut off the blossom once it's finished) and they really need to keep their leaves till they are completely yellowed and shrivelled because that is how they gain their strength for next year's bloom.

Feed 'em in the fall, and then again in the spring when the new growth appears; and after a few years you can dig up the bulb and divide it, as it will have reproduced.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

I have had my original Hyacinth bulbs for many years-probably 20. The flowers have "loosened" up. I think I like them even better than the tight flower stalks. They look a little less formal and oh so fragrant. I cut the flower stalk off when it withers and then, take away the leaves when they are pretty yellow--they just come off very easily. If I have to tug at them, I leave them--pretty much what was said above.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.