pests and saintpaulias

Hi all! My problem is little orange colored pests on my saintpaulias. Here in my home is flying many Sciaridaes around and now I have found some kind of orange larvas which have climbed up to my saintpaulias' flowers.

The Sciaridae larvas which I find in the pot (on soil) are white colored so the problem is that I dont know if they can be same larvas on the flowers but older aged than those white larvas.

I have two photos of them as attachment.

In the second photo is also marked one place as circle because there is some kind of grey area on one flower and looks like the larvas wandering on that area more or less.

I have already used one kind of pesticide and looks like it does not do anything to those larvas.

Sorry about my bad english, but can anyone tell what are those orange pests? Are they older Sciaridae larvas?

EDIT: Those orange larvas does not have wings! But they are so fast to run away when I try to catch them.
EDIT2: There are also white colored and some black/orange colored larvas wandering with those orange larvas. They all look similar, but different colored.

This message was edited Mar 16, 2014 8:03 AM

This message was edited Mar 16, 2014 8:06 AM

Thumbnail by Midi Thumbnail by Midi
San Francisco, CA

To me it looks like it may be thrips.
See if you can find a product with Imidocloprid as the active ingredient - Bayer makes one here called "Rose and Flower Insect Spray", but I do not know if it would have the same name in your country. I works quite well on thrips ( and Sciaridae ), and is safe for Saintpaulia.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.