How do YOU Clean Your Greens?

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

My process for cleaning spinach, mustard, collard, and turnip greens I grow takes FOREVER.

And, reality finally hit me -- I probably have still eaten a tiny worm or two...

How do YOU do it?

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

If you don't grow them, you don't have to worry about cleaning them or eating the worms. LOL

Hummelstown, PA(Zone 6b)

I have a 2 X 2' metal screen in a wooden frame. The screen is 1/4" size. I harvest the greens and place them on the screen and hose them off outside first.

Then I bring them inside and wash them in a salad spinner. Then spin them dry. You still have to look for bugs/worms and remove any dead or yellow leaves etc.

It does take some time but it well worth it.

SW, AR(Zone 8a)

Fresh from the garden, I slosh them around well, outdoors, in a #3 washtub, then finish the job in the kitchen sink. The water left in the washtub is then used to water plants and chickens.

Munster, IN(Zone 5b)

I'll bet that our own greens are much cleaner and healthier than store bought! Remember those food poisonings that happened the past few years when commercial greens were washed with contaminated water. I also trust my farmer's market purchases more than chain groceries, they just pick 'em - I wash them at home. Just an FYI, I read a snippet in Prevention last year that if you soak your grocery veggies in hot water for 3 minutes they will keep fresher longer in the refrigerator; I've tried it and think it works well on celery, carrots etc.

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks, you guys!

I believe it was Horseshoe who taught me a great, quick process a few years back, and I still do it today.

This weekend, after I harvested a BUNCH of mustard and turnip leaves, I filled a 10-gallon tub with water and added enough salt to cause an egg to bob around.

Then, I plunge the greens in and AGITATE, AGITATE, AGITATE! Have to move very quickly, cause all that salt will actually cause the leaf tissue to start breaking down!

Then, plunge those greens into yet another tub, this time filled with clear fresh water. AGITATE, AGITATE, AGITATE!

Then, bring them inside, and inspect each leaf for bugs/worms/yellow spots....

Maybe it just seems like it takes forever...

Actually, when I used to harvest much larger leaves, the job went much faster...it's those small leaves that caused me grief.

Solution: Go back to harvesting larger leaves....

Thanks, again, Guys!

Aw, Steph,
We gotta eat our greens! And, I can grow 'em far cheaper than buying them fresh or frozen, LOL!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.