What is your rarest hosta?

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

I have a new hosta that I got last year from the breeder. It is "Pride and Joy" (Don Rawson). Paid too much money for it, but I would do it again!

Now share your rarest!

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

'Lakeside Reflecting Glass' - a streaked version of 'L Looking Glass'. Pics are on my other computer.

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Ooohhhh sounds neat! I don't have either one of those.

I was in Canada last year at Betty Pauze's house. I told her I wanted to go to your house to see your host as. Then she told me how far away you live from her....DRATS!!!

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Where is Betty's house? Here's a pic of LRG.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Ooohhhh so pretty! Betty lives in Ontario.

I went to the Hosta College auction last Friday. Many pretty streakers for auction there. This is a new IPAD, so I don't have any hosta pictures on it.

Sure would love for others to chime in!

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

I wasn't sure which Betty, but I know now and she lives NW of Toronto (maybe an hour or so?) while I'm 4 1/2-5 hours NE of Toronto, but still in Ontario. Of course, you can go MUCH farther north and west and still be in Ontario.

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Yes, that's my Betty! Victoria Harbour..a long way apart!

Oquawka, IL(Zone 5a)

Ann,

I got Lakeside Reflecting Glass two years ago. The first year it had nice streaking, but it seemed to be more green last year. That one was rather expensive for a small plant, so I'm not replacing it. I hope your hosta will keep the nice streaking.

Joyce,

I have Pride and Joy, too. It has been a good grower for me, and I planted it where it gets morning sun (as instructed by Don Rawson) and the colors are beautiful. I have another of his hostas, Blue Challenger that is a nice blue smaller plant.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Rose - I hope it keeps the streaking too, but if it doesn't, I'm not out of pocket. I got it free in exchange for letting the nursery use some of my hosta pics on their web site. Got a couple of other expensive ones free too. :-)

What is 'Pride and Joy' like? Need to look it up.

Oquawka, IL(Zone 5a)

That's the best kind of hosta! FREE!

Rose

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Especially if they give me free choice of their collection. Mind you I take a LOT of pictures to get a few good ones. But another local nursery just asked if they could use a few of my pics on their web site. :-)

Oquawka, IL(Zone 5a)

I had an email asking to use one of my pictures for their 2014 brochure, but they never offered me anything... I'd never heard of the nursery.

Here's a picture of 'Pride and Joy'. This is the second year in my gardens and it's done very well.

Thumbnail by Rose1656
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Well sometimes, you need to ask for compensation.

Oquawka, IL(Zone 5a)

I certainly will, if the opportunity comes around again!

Now, to get back to the question from Joyce about our rarest hosta?

Mine would have to be 'Dripping Lemon Custard' from Ron Livingston. I can't find a picture of it on my laptop. Will have to check on my hard drive to see if I can find one.

Rose

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

There are stunning pics by Ron on the Hosta Library - http://www.hostalibrary.org/d/drippinglemoncustard.html

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Oh, Rose, what a beautiful picture of Pride and Joy. I just loved the coloring on this and the vase shape. Don't think I've ever seen Blue Challenger, but I do have Blue Rhino from Don. I planted my P and J in a pretty planter last year. I'm so hoping it made it through the Winter we had. Many are saying it was our worst winter in 35 years. 😢

Glad to see someone else show us their rarest!

Viola, your pictures are always so amazing, I'm not surprised they want to use them! Lucky you to get rare Hostas in exchange!

Oquawka, IL(Zone 5a)

Joyce,

I thought I had a picture of Blue Challenger to post, but couldn't find it. It's a really nice blue one that holds its color for most of the season. Mine isn't very big. I'd say it's a small/medium plant. He sends really nice plants. Does he still sell his own, or do you have to buy from a retailer? I got these two directly from him, but don't remember his contract info.

Rose

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

I was on a Hosta Club bus tour and bought directly from him. Don Rawson. In MI. If you can't find him, let me know and I'll see if I can round up his info.

He was a teacher at Hosta college this year. I spoke with him briefly at the auction on Friday night, but I didn't get to attend classes this year.

Oquawka, IL(Zone 5a)

Joyce,

Thanks. I remember he had some really nice ones, so I may contact you for info.

Rose

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Glad to help!

Charlotte, VT

I don't have any rare hostas, but I must say that the streaked hostas are beautiful. I'm looking forward to seeing my hostas when they pop out of the ground in about a month and a half. Too bad the streaked ones are so expensive.

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

I agree, they are really pretty, and you are so right, expensive!!

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

I suppose it would be worthwhile to ask just what constitutes a rare hosta. And that might depend on whether you are able to get varieties locally or easily. Or are the really expensive ones "rare"?

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

To me, it means hard to get, or only a few of them. There is one I would love to have called "Midnight Oil". I've never seen anything like it.

Charlotte, VT

I just found mention of Midnight Oil in this forum and they discuss where to get it to.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/hosta/msg112017348933.html

Certainly Midnight Oil is rare

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Thanks, Helen! It really is a stunning Hosta.

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Read that Midnight Oil is in tissue culture now, so maybe it will become more available!

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

I have a miniature hosta 'Green Elf'. I bought it locally here somewhere years ago and I don't remember. It's apparently not sold anywhere anymore and I gave away so much that I only have a tiny patch left. It is about the same size and shaped leaf as 'Stiletto' and I had it in borders with that one for years.
I guess they stop growing old varieties to make room for the new ones.
Martha

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

The 2013 Hosta Finder shows Green Elf is available at "Jim's Hostas" for $15.00.

Sounds really cute!

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Yes indeed, if you've got an oldie that you like, take care of it. My favourite that's hard to find is 'Kifukurin Ko Mame'. Another fast growing mini that makes a wonderful border. But bear in mind that I'm in Canada. My options for hostas are much more limited than for those of you in the US.

I think one of my rarest is 'Lakeside Reflecting Glass', the streaked sport from L Looking Glass.

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Pretty....

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.