ORVG # 201 Will spring ever come?

Waddy, KY

We came from here

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1345971/

Ok Looks like I might have gotten this done.

All you Ohio folks. What can you tell me about Washington Courthouse? It seems I'm sending my second child there to live and work. Tell me what you know.

Janet

This message was edited Mar 13, 2014 7:35 PM

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Janet, Thanks for the new thread.
Washington Courthouse is off I-71 between Cincinnati and Columbus. They have a lot of outlet malls. Other than that I don't know much. I'm not a big shopper. I just pass it on my way to Columbus to visit a friend. It doesn't seem to be a big city. Celene or Joyce might know more about it. Sorry I'm not able to help much.

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the clean slate Janet. I have been thinking we needed one, but my excuse is I am one handed!

DH used to have an aunt who lived there many years ago. She liked it, but she passed maybe 10 years ago.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Bonnie, You have a great excuse. Prayers for you and DH to keep recovering. Glad your one handing for us. Lol

Had to take DH back to his surgeon today. His incision site was red and swollen. The PTherapist called his Dr yesterday, he phoned in a prescription but wanted to see him. He is confident that the antibiotics will take care of it without anything having to be done.

It was a day filled with things medical, and I am worn out. Will catch up more maybe tomorrow.

The wind blew 90 miles an hour today and is still at it. Hope it calms down so we won't have to listen to it all night.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Bonnie, I'll be praying for your DH. Hope it clears up fast.

Waddy, KY

Bonnie, glad you went ahead and took Wayne back to the doctor. Sure don't need a raging infection at the incision site. I've been running my father back and forth to the doctors here lately. Since I don't live down there I feel that's the least I can do. And I'll have to tell you, getting a 350 pound man that can hardly stand and hobble out of a house that has steps in a wheelchair is no picnic. And inclines.... Probably need a video. I'm pushing at a 45 degree angle to get the chair started. I'm exhausted by the time I get home.

One of my main markets started up again for the spring. It was so so but you can't expect much when no one has had much chance to get anything planted. I probably should have been trying to get something in the ground today but I'm not sure the ground was ready.

Going tomorrow to Washington Courthouse to see if we can locate an apartment for DD. She starts this job on March 31 so she can have benefits on April 1. It should be interesting around here. While she had a full time job, she did help with the evening feeding. Maybe DH will finally decide to sell a few cows and cut the herds some. I've been advocating that for a couple years now but it's been falling on deaf ears.

Another set of twin kids this afternoon. We're about to burst at the seams.....

Janet, sure hope that all goes well with the DD. Now who will step up and fill her shoes with the feeding? And whose idea was it for the goats and sheep and cows? I hope I am not preaching to the choir, but if you advocate for buying animals, then by durn you should have your boots on and ready to help take care of them.

DH's Dr said that it indeed looked like an infection, but he is taking a powerful antibiotic so had already started treatment before we got there. They did xrays and everything looks fine, so now if we can get this infection under control, it will be easy sledding from here.

Dealing with a member of my family today. Long story, but my nephew signed papers to put his DM, (my DS) in a NH permanently. She has been sick and it was understood that she would go to the NH to get back on her feet and to gain some strength, but the underhanded snit signed her in permanently. She found out about it and is livid, and I don't blame her. So will be trying to help her wade through legal stuff this next week.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Janet, It seems like you have had a lot of twins. Are they common with goats/kids?
Hope your DD was able to find a nice place. I'll say some prayers for her.

Bonnie, Hope the antibiotic's clear up the infection quickly. Prayers and healing thoughts for your DH.
Your poor DS! If she can do stairs she can come stay with me. We have a extra room. You don't lie to your mother! You shouldn't lie at all but, of all things to your mother. Shame on him! I will add your DS to my prayers. Hope you are able to spring her somehow. My heart breaks for her. If it was for her own good he shouldn't have told her the truth.
Prayers and hugs for you. You sure have a lot to deal with at this time. Take care of yourself.

I have spent most of the day cutting up my son's baby clothes. I'm going to make a quilt out of them. I only saved clothes with sentimental value to them. It's something I have been wanting to do for a while. I took the plunge today and started. I have maybe a third of it pinned together so far. I keep changing my mind and starting over. Lol It turns out this step might take a while. Lol
Hope everybody has a Blessed Day!
Karen

Karen have you ever made a quilt from scratch before? I used to do them all the time, but with a thumb that had to be fused several years ago, I just gave it up because I could use the thumb, but only for certain things and I don't think quilting was one of them.

My DB and I are going tomorrow armed with a new POA, and all we will need to do is find a notary. I am sure that there will be one working there. Tried to call her tonight and the phone in her room at the hospital goes unanswered, so I am supposing that they moved her to the nursing home today. She has agreed to make me her POA, and the first thing I will do with that official duty is to remove her from the NH and bring her here to my house.

We have not always seen eye to eye, but those things are past and forgiven, and now she is just my family and I will do what is necessary to support her.

We have snow about 3 inches and it is still falling. I am so mad at Mother Nature, she has tried to fool me on several days with sunshine and warm temperatures, and now this.

Waddy, KY

Geez Bonnie, what a mess. I sure hope it doesn't end up in some sort of competentacy hearing in court. Not right. Good luck.

Started snowing/raining on us coming back from OH this afternoon. Turned to snow and I'd say we have around 2 inches on the ground and the wind is blowing like crazy. Pretty raw out there. DS is betting Henry Co. won't be in school tomorrow in spite of them wanting to go. I tend to agree with him.

DD did find an apartment that's almost within sight of the mill. If it weren't that she's going to be on the second shift and will be getting off at 1 a.m., she could walk to work. Seems like a nice quite place with 4 sheriff deputies living there.

Bons, I guess we're just going to have to cope with her leaving. They're going through the unbred heifers Tuesday to decide what to keep to breed and what to ship. DD is going to try talking DH into keeping only 10-12 animals instead of the usual 15-20. Hopefully he's going to decide to cull the herds a bit more heavily. I've been lobbying for that over the last couple of years. Maybe now he'll listen. And yes, she and DH did make the decision to buy the goats and sheep but that decision was made over a year and a half ago when there wasn't a job in sight. He's have bought them anyway and we've about got rid of the feeders and we're probably not going to keep some of the smaller does. I've known sooner or later my kids would leave the nest. Surely couldn't ask her to turn down right at a $20,000 raise. She has to make her life and we have to adjust. Just as I'm sure we'll have to make another adjustment when DS finally flies from the nest and the youngest DD. Didn't ask the oldest DD to stay in the area and can't ask that of any of the rest either.

Karen, if the sheep or goats nutritional needs are met and you're choosing for twinning heritability, which lamb and goat breeders want, obviously because of the profit margins, then single births are the exception and not the rule. Occasionally you'll get triplets. We only had one set of goat triplets. You have to watch them a little closer to make sure everyone gets their turn at the milk bar since momma only has two faucets and all three can't get fed at once. And with our bunch, if an ewe has single births twice in a row I suspect she'll become lamb burger. If a yearling ewe has a single we don't hold it against her but if she has a single again the next year I suspect we'll be culling her.

I think it's time to be off to bed. I would have loved to get some garden in the ground today but the weather blew in too early. DH did get the ground slabbed so that was good. All things in good time I guess.....

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Bonnie, No, I have never made a quilt before. I have been practicing by making purses. lol I know it's not the same but, I figured it was better than nothing. lol You should see my 1st and 2nd purses. Let's just say they are hiding! lol I think I'm ready for the quilt now. I'm going to hand sew the pieces together and use a machine to put the back and trim on. That is my plan anyway. I'll share my progress with you.

I'm glad you and your DB are going to spring your DS. My prayers are with you and her!

Janet, Thank You! That makes sense. Glad you were planning for them. I was worried it was something in your water. lol
Congratulations to your DD! I'm sorry your going to be missing her around your nest.

Better get to work. Hope everybody has a Blessed Day!
Karen

Columbus, OH

If you want to do something nice and learn how to make quilts, you can make 2' square quilts and donate to animal shelters or rescues. It's a good way to practice a pattern.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Celene, Thank You! That is a great idea. I'm going to do that. Bless your heart.

Well, no progress made in our family situation today. My DB and I went to the NH and basically got our DS to tell us the financial condition of the businesses and the joint accounts with her DH. Trying to figure out just what assets she will have and to see if we think we can get her into an apartment. So it has been a long day, and very tiring trying to get facts and figures together.

From the way the PT talked, she is not going to need much to get her back on her feet, and when it is determined that she is physically able, and medicare won't pay, she will have to go somewhere, as the NH won't keep her if her condition doesn't meet their standards.

We got about 3 inches of snow, but by noon, it was all gone. Now I could do snow storms like that all the time.

Very good idea about the practice quilts, and helping out the shelters too.

Karen a word from someone who has done many quilts. Sew the pieces together by machine, get the whole quilt top together, then put the backing and batting on (just pinned or basted) then do the hand quilting. I know there are modern ways to do it, but if you are doing it to have a heirloom one day, this would be the best way.

Columbus, OH

I'm way too lazy to hand quilt any more. I made a couple for my mother, and a baby shower quilt for my friend, if I did it again, it'd be machine quilting.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Bonnie, Thank You! I sure appreciate your helpful knowledge. I have packed up the baby clothes for now. I have gotten back out my scraps of fabric to practice some more. I'm going to make animal quilts till I'm more comfortable. I have a box full of scraps of fabric. My DMIL brought me home from her church sewing group. She's not a quilter. It's about the only thing she doesn't do. Lol

Your DS's DH was behind this whole thing too. That might be worse. He better take notes. His DS will slam him in a home when he's not up to speed. He would deserve it too. I'll pray your DS gets the strength to help you and your DB fight this injustice. It's a good thing she has a smart and loving sister and brother to help her.

Is your DH's shoulder showing any improvement?

Celene, Thank You again! I loved your idea. Working on some now. Will post a picture of some before I take them to shelters. I found many places that would love to have some. Sure beats my ugly purses. Lol

It's been a long day. I'm off to bed.
Have a Blessed Night everybody!
Karen

Columbus, OH

I'm glad the idea worked out, Karen! I quilt rarely, but crochet all the time, I make squares with odds and sods of yarn for cat beds at Cat Welfare or Pets Without Parents.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

That's awesome! I never thought about it. I donate old towels and blankets. Never thought to make them. I have 1 made. But, boy is it ugly. Lol I'm using scraps and most don't match. I hope dogs really are colorblind. Lol My PC is having problems again. The monitor doesn't recognize the modem. Grrrr! I'll post my ugly quilt when I get it fixed.

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

I hated to hear that Darius passed away. She was certainly full of wit and wisdom.

Columbus, OH

I am sad to hear that as well. She was witty and wise and I will miss her.

I am in contact with a niece, and hope to have details of a funeral or memorial in the next couple of days. Will let you know.

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Thanks, Bonnie!

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Sorry to hear that! I never met her but have benefited from her advice. Does Rick know?

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

I don't think so.

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

So very sorry to hear about Darius!

Southwestern, OH(Zone 6b)

I too, am really saddened to hear about Darius. I enjoyed the time she spent with me a few years ago.

Janet, as your daughter will no doubt find out, Washington Court House is referred to as "Court House" by anyone familiar with it. It's a nice town... my sister lives there, my mom was originally from there, and I spent a lot of time there when I was young and my Grandma was still alive... and my two oldest were born there. :)

They have a Kroger, Walmart, Kmart, Hospital, Home Depot, Lowes, and several nice resturants. All the kids in town go to Washington Senior High, they have a wonderful band, by the way... and all the kids who live in Fayette County who don't live in Court House go to Miami Trace, which is out in the country near Bloomingburg. Only 2 schools in the county. Rte 62 runs through the middle, and I'm sure that's how you went up. It's about 40 minutes from Columbus, and as Sue said, about 10 minutes from the outlet malls. Rte 22/3 runs through, as does Route 41. 22/3 Will get her to Dayton and 22/3 will get her to Chillicothe and Cincinnati in the other direction.

It's about 20 miles from where I grew up... if you want to know anything else, message me. What is she going to be doing?

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

I knew about Darius but was kind of in shock.
I spoke w/ her for a bit on March 10 when she wished me a Happy Birthday.
Wish now it had been a longer and deeper conversation.
She was definitely a Force of Nature....LOL!

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

That she was!

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Wish, I'd gotten a chance to know her. I have looked up several things on here and came across her informative posts. She has helped me a lot. The world has suffered a great loss.

Bonnie, Hope DH is healing up! Prayers are still with both of you.

Things are looking better here. My DH's employer offered him a different position at the company. I think he's going to take it. He's almost made up his mind. Lol His mind has changed only a few times. Lol I'm still praying about things.

Karen

Karen, I have been meaning to ask about your DH. Well, if his mind is about made up, I would think that he would accept the position offered. It is so hard to find something comparable, so sometimes it is better knowing what kind of employer you have, vs not knowing, and having to go through an orientation.

Darius' niece emailed me and said that Darius is being cremated and her ashes interred on her fathers grave in Florida. Her sister is supposed to have a memorial later in the spring and invite anyone who wants to come to the house and celebrate her life there. If I hear any more, I will let you know.

I am having my second cataract surgery tomorrow, and have to be in Lexington at 8:00. So need to head to bed so that I can get some sleep, as if I don't they may have to pry that eye open to work on it!

Columbus, OH

I will be up lighting candles for you tomorrow :) With one eye open ;)

Thanks, evidently it was successful. I have been home since about 11 am, and napped t this afternoon, you can see, I can't see well.

Columbus, OH

That was pretty speedy, glad you're home and well!

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

How are you today, Bonnie? Hope you are doing well!

Went back this morning for a check, and the Dr says it looks good. So a couple of weeks of healing, then I will have an exam to get new glasses.

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Maybe you won't need them at all, Bonnie!

Columbus, OH

Great news, Bonnie!

I had to go to the endocrinologist today for rx for hot flashes. Ugggggggggggggghhhhhhhh

My memorial to Darius is that I'm fermenting some pickles. You know she's laughing about it.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Bonnie, Glad to hear everything went well and your healing up. I'm with Joyce and hope you don't need glasses.
How is your DH healing up? Hope his infection is clearing or cleared up.

Celene, If you need somebody to help you eat those pickles. I volunteer! Lol

Karen

Dh goes back to his surgeon tomorrow. I think he is doing really good, and the quick action to get antibiotics really nipped that infection in the bud and that was quickly cleared up.

Do pickles help with hot flashes? I thought at some point (age) they would be gone, but mine are still hanging around at 66.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.