Bhut Jolokia plants

(Nadine) Devers, TX(Zone 9b)

I am hopefully picking up 10 plants of these. Got people wanting me to make hot peppers sauce out of them. Along with some Habs and scorpion peppers too. Will post pics when I get them.

Ozark, MO(Zone 6a)

Good golly, just wear rubber gloves and don't touch your face while making sauce from those - I've learned that the hard way! I mailed your Sweet Ozark Orange seeds off today. :>)

(Nadine) Devers, TX(Zone 9b)

Thank you!! I have a certain pair of gloves I work with when I get around any hot peppers...seen too many people get burn or go owie with hot pepper juice!!..

But...here is my pic of my Bhut Jolokia peppers I bought..

Thumbnail by Moodene
BELLEVILLE, IL(Zone 6b)

Moodene..cook your sauce outside. We were looking for something to do over in England so we did a "Man V Food" Wing Challenge. I ordered some of the peppers dried and made hot sauce with them..let me tell ya..my body was on fire just cooking the sauce. It carries in the air, lol be careful. Lesson learned, Ill make it on the grill burner this fall. This face says it all lol

Thumbnail by badcat
Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

I ground up some dried peppers with a small coffee grinder. Let the dust settle before you lift the lid! My kitchen was a bio-hazard zone for several days.

Also, I carefully wiped up any visible spills with a paper napkin. If you follow the same policy, be sure to throw it away before you forget which napkin was next to your plate for daily use, and which was Class Five Hazmat!

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

I recently learned of this hot pepper website. He's very informal, so you have to email him to buy plants, seeds, fresh hot peppers or dried pepper powder. I got some powder and I got a LOT for $15. Like 2+ fluid ounces.

I tried the Bhut Jolokia powder and a mixed Scorpion powder. YOWSA! I'm terrified of the fresh sample Primo and a yellow Fatalii he sent along as free samples. I froze them to save them for after I grow a pair.

Already, what used to be my "Hot Chili Mix" has become my "Mild Mix".

http://seriouslyhotpeppers.com/index.html

He has Bhut Jolokia, Carolina Reapers, Yellow Fatalii (relatively mild), 7 pod Douglah, red and yellow Trinidad Butch T. Scorpion, red and yellow 7 pod Brain Strain.

He does some breeding or selection of his own, and seems very careful about his seed sources and bagging-plus-hand-pollination of seeds for sale and for his production.

However, you can't just buy a box of fresh peppers and use those seeds as a pure line. The "production greenhouse" allows cross-pollination.

P.S. I discovered that one way to taste-taste thing far too hot to just "try a little" on a fingertip is to put 1/16th tsp or 1/8th tsp of dried powder into a cup or pint of vodka. It doesn't seem to require any "soaking" time. In honor of Russian pertsovka, I keep mine in the freezer. The flavor comes through much clearer and the pain fades faster than from other forms of tasting.

P.S. I still dilute that "infusion" 4:1 with cold water after I pour out a shot. Your milage may vary, but I'm still toughening up my esophagus.

This message was edited Aug 29, 2014 4:59 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.