Is this Crimson King or Nightfall?

Dewey, AZ(Zone 7a)

Another new bloom today. Narrowed it down, but can't tell which.

The wind is crazy today so I brought this one in to photograph...so he's a little tattered.

Thumbnail by TexasDollie Thumbnail by TexasDollie Thumbnail by TexasDollie
Concord, NC

Not CRIMSON KING or NIGHTFALL. It Appears to be SABLE from Cook 1936. Its From Indiana.
DG currently does not have accurate main pics for Sable or Sable Night. they have a pic of Sable Night as the main pic for Sable and a pic of Sable as the main pic of Sable Night. Im working on it. I dont like to flag other people images, and am waiting till mine bloom. heres a link for Sable http://wiki.irises.org/bin/view/TbPthruT/TbSable . It has white tipped Bronze horns like Yours. Crimson King has white tipped Orange horns and is tinged Red Magenta in the light. heres a pic of my son's Crimson King.

edited to add pic

This message was edited Mar 12, 2014 12:49 PM

Thumbnail by themikesmom
Dewey, AZ(Zone 7a)

I'm guessing by horns you mean the fluffy yellow bit (my ordered library books are en route, I promise!), but mine sure seem yellow compared to so many of the photos. Is that something that varies by degree or with the age of the flower?

I've noticed that so many of the bloom seem to get paler from opening to wilting.

Concord, NC

Yeah up close their actually a dirty yellow but from far back SABLE's horns appear gold-bronze. thats a textbook pic of SABLE You have their.

Dewey, AZ(Zone 7a)

Thank you again! It sure is a gorgeous one...and the scent is incredible. Sure glad the hubs likes iris...he said I can plant the whole front yard in them if I want. This could take a while, but I'm game. :~D

Concord, NC

Rome wasnt Built in a Day..If you got all the ones you could ever want this year what could you order next year to enjoy...the longer it takes to get it the way you want it..the more pride you can have in that what you have left for others to enjoy! Your Legacy.. :-) :-) :-)

Dewey, AZ(Zone 7a)

You're right. A few here, a few there. Eventually...

WORLD! DOMINATION!!!

Eh hem. Sorry. You are right...it is an enjoyable process, and I will settle down, after this first season. It's just that we've dragged these iris around since 2004, and I've only had a handful of blooms from them in all that time. Basically too many moves, not good conditions, etc. This is the first year we've stayed put AND had a good place to plant them, so I'm a little manic.

I'll get better. :~) Maybe Windcrest Domination? I engage in some Guerrilla Gardening...plant iris rhizomes in the landscaping around the city offices. Woohooo!

Concord, NC

im not sure i can condone guerrilla gardening..hmmm. i thought more guerrilla gardening would be done near Cutt and Shoot, Texas aka Willie Nelson's place..bwahahaa :-) lol I know you mean iris gardening..lol. ;-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.