Lily Auction Wins

West St. Paul, MN

I have had cabin fever so badly, that I have gotten a little carried away with the Lily Auction. In the past couple of weeks, I have bought 5 or 6 DLs from seller Daredevil (UFOs) as well as Gossard's 'Aliens In The Garden' and Doorakian's 'Emerald Stardust'. OMG!!!! I can hardly wait! Is anyone else having this problem?

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Cataddict, Welcome! I have that problem every year. Lol I have been better this year than last.
You have some nice one's coming. I ordered from Gossard's Heavenly Gardens. He has so many I want it was really hard to narrow it down to a reasonable amount. My list of suggested bonus plants was extensive. Lol
Have you bid on anything else on the LA? I have been staying off there. I have little will power and abstaining is my best defense. Lol

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Taylordaylily, LOL!! Cataddict, those are some nice ones. I have tone it down some due to plans to reorganize the garden some to please DW. She's not a big daylily fan.
Unlike Susan, I only have several coming this spring. Current count is eleven. Compare that to seventy five. LOL!! Susan, I am not picking on you!!!

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Mike, Sorry to hear your DW isn't a daylily fan. Does your DW have a favorite flower she likes you to plant? If anybody could win her over to daylilies you should be able to. You have some real nice daylilies! Keep trying! Lol Never give up!
Yes, you are picking on Susan. Lol I'm sure she won't mind. Her yard will be all the more beautiful after they are all planted. Also she has done better than last year herself. It's easy to go crazy when you first get addicted. I have been addicted 6 years now and it's still hard for me. Last year I had 75 myself. This year I'm at about 18 daylilies coming. I finally joined the AHS this year so 1 of them I got with my voucher. You just have to love a free daylily. Lol my voucher daylily is Fathers Day Gift. I'm going to use it as a tribute to my DFIL in my tribute garden.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

That's the truth. Trying to narrow down selections is a real challenge.

taylor, do you have photos of your tribute garden?

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Cville, I do. I'll post some when I get to my PC. I'm still trying to figure how to post pictures from my IPad. Every time I try it locks everything up. I'll be back soon with pictures.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Well, maybe I don't have a full garden shot. I thought I did. I will take one in the spring. I have spring bulbs in there so it won't look so naked. lol I did have bloom pictures from some of my tribute daylilies.
Picture 1 Codyted - is a tribute to a beloved dog/son that passed 9 years ago. His name was Cody
Picture 2 Sambo Wilder - is a tribute to my male peek. that I have now. His name is Sam and I loved the bloom. lol
Picture 3 Puzzling Prize - is a tribute to one of me and my husband's favorite past time's after our son is in bed.
Picture 4 Peace hybid tea Rose - is a tribute to my great grand mother. She always grew them in her yard. I'm not really a rose person. But, I do love this one.
Picture 5 This one is not my tribute garden. It's my apple tree garden. There are 2 apple trees at the front of the garden. It's a huge garden bed it's about 20' deep and about 65' long.

Thumbnail by taylordaylily Thumbnail by taylordaylily Thumbnail by taylordaylily Thumbnail by taylordaylily Thumbnail by taylordaylily
Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Here are some more picture's from my gardens. I'm missing my gardens really bad.

Picture 1 Bush's Coneflower- was a new addition last year bareroot.
Picture 2 Prairie Moonlight with shasta daisy in the back ground I forget if that one is Becky or Crazy daisy
Picture 3 Emperor's Dragon with Blue Fortune Hysopp behind it.
Picture 4 Cup Plant A big tall beauty!
Picture 5 Spindazzle

I'm going to head outside and see if I can do anything out there today. We're getting into the high 60's today! I'm so happy!

Thumbnail by taylordaylily Thumbnail by taylordaylily Thumbnail by taylordaylily Thumbnail by taylordaylily Thumbnail by taylordaylily
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Beautiful! Thanks.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Those are beautiful pictures..... i love the idea of a tribute garden!! I might just have to add one of those! I love roses - and had started a rose bed but the deer ate them all! I hope to add some more eventually, but I will need to make a bed in my back yard for them because it is fenced and hopefully will slow the deer down at least!

Remind me again about that cup plant................... I KNOW I asked about it last year, but I can't for the life of me remember what you said about it. Is it invasive? easy to grow? is it similar to a sunflower? I really like the way it looks.....just re-educate me on it :)

Mike, your yard is so beautiful, I can't imagine her not loving the DLs..... hopefully you can mix in some things she loves and she will grow to adore them more! :)

West St. Paul, MN

LOL!!! I keep looking for a "Like" button. @ Taylordaylily: Yes, I have ordered a few more. I REALLY like Daredevil Daylilies and this year (so far) I have Plutonian Porsche, Venusian Veyron, and Mothra. I received 6 diploids from her this past fall. I have also won 'Tooth and Nails' and 'Flying Trapeze'.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Taylordaylily, thanks for sharing those lovely blooms and garden shot.
DW loves Calla Lilies and the tall dark Canna lilies. She like big blooms like hibiscus also.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Genna, The proper name for the cup plant is Siphium perfoliatum. It's a big beautiful native. It grows to 8 or 9' tall. It's leaf stalks form a little cup that birds and wildlife can drink from. In the heat of summer I water it to fill the cups for my little birds to play in. It's clump forming. I have not had a problem with it reseeding. There is also a Silphium lacinatum (compass plant) that is related. It's tall and beautiful as well. I don't have it yet. Someday!

Cat addict, You have some real nice one's coming. I'll have to try daredevil sometime. I have seen her listing and been tempted before.
Roseman has a bunch of Benz daylilies. He's a toothy guy. Lol He has some real beautiful daylilies. He gives us poorer addicts nice eye candy. Lol Hope you will share you eye candy blooms with us this summer.

Mike, Your welcome!
Sounds like your DW has good taste. Maybe she will fall for one of your new additions. We all started somewhere with our addiction. Lol Mine started with Moonlit Masqurade. Daylilies were just another flower till that one bloom. I have been addicted to daylilies ever since. If she never gets addicted just keep putting her favorites with your daylilies. They can live happily together. Lol
Are you ready for the snow? We are going to get a inch at rush hour. Just enough to be a pain in the rear end.

Hope everybody has a great day!

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

taylordaylily, no problem with the jokes. LOL. I love your daylilies and gardens, thanks for sharing that.
It is true I have problems staying off the LA, I think I have almost 50 coming and 8 from Floyd Cove not as bad as I was last year or year before. I am excited about the daylilies I am getting for sure and I love the bonus plants that FC, and the others send. It is always a nice surprise, like Christmas in April!
Here is a photo of my butterfly garden last year.

2,3,4th picture is my Floyd Cove garden, it needs to get expanded. LOL.

In the second picture top left is Bottle Rocket, next down is Tahitian Shores, bottom left is Stone Island, bottom is Princess Diane, bottom right is Ocean Rainbow and top right is Cosmic Kaleidoscope.

In the fourth picture top to bottom is Tahitian Shores, Snow Crystal, and Princess Diana.
susan

This message was edited Mar 14, 2014 7:16 AM

Thumbnail by virginiarose Thumbnail by virginiarose Thumbnail by virginiarose Thumbnail by virginiarose
West St. Paul, MN

@ Taylordaylily: What is the daylily in the upper right corner of the 3rd photo?

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

I love calla lilies too but I seem to have a hard time getting them to survive here! They never come back for me. I planted two new hardy hibiscus last year that were absolutely gorgeous...... they were on the north end of my foundation bed that I just put in last Spring, so I HOPE they survived this crazy winter. If they did, I will try to root you a piece of it when it starts up. (That seems to be the only time I have luck rooting hibiscus) But it has dark foliage and dark blooms and is really stunning! I can't remember the name at the moment.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Susan - we cross posted..... love your gardens! Those Floyd Cove DLs are pretty....haven't heard of them until ya'll started talking about them in this thread - guess I will have to check them out. Love your butterfly garden. I wish I could get my butterfly bed to look that nice!

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Susan, Thank You! Your gardens are very beautiful! Your Floyd Cove garden would look great in my yard. Lol It is very beautiful. Thanks for looking out for the birds! They will reward you and fertilize your daylilies for you. Great garden friends they are.
Blame the LA for your weakness. Lol They cause us to spend money parading pretty blooms on our screen. Lol We all have weakness at least our won't kill us. Unless we spend to much and then we can't afford food. Lol
I love bonus plants. They are like Christmas in spring. I always wait and plant them last. I have to figure out were they would look best.

Cataddict, If your talking about the bottom 3rd picture. The tall yellow plant you see is not a daylily. It's Silphium perfolium ( cup plant) it's a big native plant.
The top 3rd picture has my newly planted Maryott's order from last year in the back ground. I believe it is Purple Maze in the right hand top corner. Annabelle's Blush is to the left. Puzzling Prize is the daylily blooming. It's a older daylily.

Better get going. I'm trying to do to many things at once. It's not working so well.
Have a great day everybody.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Genna, lol This stupid I Pad always wants to change your name to Henna. Lol Anyway, Floyd Cove is great eye candy. Hold your eye balls in your head when it comes to price. Lol You'll see!
Check them out!

West St. Paul, MN

Woops! My mistake! I meant to address my question to virginarose. Is that 'Facemaker' in your 3rd pic?

West St. Paul, MN

I have ALWAYS loved Floyd Cove/Patrick Stamile DLs. However, I'm a little behind the times. I did not know that they had sold their garden to Guy Pierce until I tried to find 'Facemaker'. I have been out of the loop for about 4-5 years. What the heck?! Is Stamile still going to be breeding? Does anyone know?

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Oh, now the Stamile name I recognize from some of the DLs I have admired. I am bad about not remember breeders names.........

Is that cup plant invasive? I really like the way it looks! Drought tolerant? It might not like our heat and humidity down here.....

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Cataddict, That's funny as I was typing I was wondering if you were talking about Susan's picture's.
I was wondering the same thing about Stamile. Hope somebody knows!

Genna, Cup plant takes heat and humidity just fine. We have humidity here in Ohio in summer and the heat can get up in the high 90's. We break 100 a few days every summer. Not that often, Thank goodness.

West St. Paul, MN

http://www.daylily.com/auctphotos8/1393375092.jpg

This is 'Lemon Ice Tea' that I won on the LA Last night.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Very Nice! Congratulations!

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Thanks taylordaylily and gen!

Guy and Karen Pierce bought out Stamile and they still have a few of the Grace Stamile daylilies at the bottom of the listing on the left, scroll all the way down.

cataddict, the picture at top of third pic is COSMIC KALEIDOSCOPE. I love your daylily! The last thing I won was Mike Longo, pretty impressive daylily too. I got one last year that I love very much and it is a Stamile 2007, I got off of LA from Tink3472 (highly recommended) It is :
Dr Jerrold Corbett. Love this daylily!!

Thumbnail by virginiarose Thumbnail by virginiarose
Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Pat Stamile is retired for now. LOL!!
I got Dr Jerrold Corbett last spring also. It is reported to be a long bloomer by Mr Stamile himself.
http://www.distinctly.on.ca/floydcove/dr_jerrold_corbett.htm

Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB
Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Wow - that is really pretty! And if it is a long bloomer that is definitely another plus!

West St. Paul, MN

Well, retired, huh? I guess I always think of DL breeders as being like what the gun advocates say...something about "prying that daylily out of their cold..." Just kidding everybody. (My humor is quite twisted) Stamile...WOW!

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Mike, lol I knew you would know! Thanks!

Cataddict, I would have thought the same. Lol

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

My DR JERROLD CORBET produced a clump the first season from a double fan. Also OCEAN RAINBOW, PRINCESS DIANE, TAHITIAN SHORES & STONE ISLAND. I was just looking for good bloomers and re-bloomers last year and I found a gold mine at FC, I was very happy! :))

susan

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

It's a evergreen, so I am aware that it will take more time to clump up here. It's at the front border because it's only 21" tall. It is a early bloomer in FL anyway. We will see how it does here.
Susan, lucky you!!

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

I was very sad last year when I found out Maryott's had re-classed DR JERROLD CORBET as a dormant. He evaluates his own plants, he does not copy the foliage habit from the AHS because a lot of daylilies are registered wrong. Un-lucky me. :((

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Susan, if it clumped up that fast for you I would not have anything to worry about. I have a lot of evr here. I take my chances too.

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Thanks Mike!

West St. Paul, MN

Living in "Siberia" like I do, I try to be careful about buying only dormants. However, I have been surprised at some evergreens and quite a few semi-evergreens that survive and flourish here. Curt Hanson's are ALWAYS hardy semi's, many of Bob Carr's evergreens, many of Khirchoff, as well as Stamile's (all evergreens) have survived here. However, I have been equally disappointed in some semi's that completely "rolled over".

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Susan, I have Princess Diana on my want list. You have good taste!
I wouldn't worry about evergreens where you live. I'm zone 6 and have never lost a evergreen in winter. Not saying it couldn't happen. Just that it has not happened. I live in Southwest Ohio. Fingers crossed for your pretties!
I seem to only loose them to a certain chipmunk! He needs a vacation. Lol

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Cataddict, lol Siberia! Are you zone 4? This winter has felt like Siberia!

Wyoming, MN

Many evergreen and semi evergreen do very well for me. If I like it I am willing to try.

Gary

West St. Paul, MN

@ hostages/Gary: I would appreciate a list of your evergreens that do well here. Maybe you could start a new thread with that info?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.