mold/fungus problem in MS

Starkville, MS(Zone 8a)

These pictures were taken in my next-door neighbors yard, but I have some of the same growth, just not as large patches. I am guessing this is some kind of mold or fungus. In the full sun it is perhaps 1/8" thick, slightly crusty, and black. In the shade, it is up to 1/4" think, slimy, and very dark green to black. It grows mainly in sparce areas of the yard and there the grass is really thick, it does not grow. Apparently it has to have dirt to grow on. My neighbors yard is St. Augustine and my yard is Bermuda. These globs/patches don't seem to harm the grass but I am thinking that grass will not grow where this stuff is. The last picture shows the patch disturbed with a stick.

What is it and more importantly, how do I get rid of it?

Thumbnail by drdawg43 Thumbnail by drdawg43 Thumbnail by drdawg43 Thumbnail by drdawg43
Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Sorry, I am absolutely no help. Perhaps try posting on an ID forum? or checking with the cooperative extension service ?

Good luck........

Starkville, MS(Zone 8a)

I am waiting on a reply from our extension service expert. I know the director of the MS Extension Service, so sent the enquiry/pictures to her and she has told me she forwarded everything to their pathology/lawn diseases expert at Mississippi State University.

Thanks.

Ken

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Great! let us know what you find out............

Ripley, MS

I have seen that before here too, but only in small patches. It looks kind of like melted rubber or something to me.

Starkville, MS(Zone 8a)

Yep, that's a good description. Have you ever heard of a preventative or killer of same?

Ripley, MS

No, I don't have a clue about what it is or what to do about it, but I have only seen maybe half dollar size patches of it here.

Starkville, MS(Zone 8a)

I will send you a bunch of it. I like to share!

Ken

Ripley, MS

Thanks, but no thanks, Ken !

Starkville, MS(Zone 8a)

Never hurts to try!

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Have you not had any luck with the extension service identifying it for you?

Starkville, MS(Zone 8a)

Everyone who is expert in this sort of thing says it is "Slime Mild". My conditions do not fit its growth/spread, but apparently that's what I have. I have raked up what I could and am experimenting with a couple of things on the patches I see. I will post my results when I see if anything kills it.

Ken

Laceys Spring, AL(Zone 7a)

Ken, We've seen it around here too, but we have such a large area of weeds/grass/pasture, it doesn't do much good to try to control anything except just around the house. Mostly where I've seen it is near highly compacted soil areas near the woods. I would love to hear what, if anything, might get rid of it. Besides very hot weather.

Starkville, MS(Zone 8a)

I was an orchid vendor at our local Garden Expo this past weekend and the landscape service I occasionally use was set up next door. I asked the owner (a PhD in horticulture) whether he had ever found anything that would kill this slime mold. He said he thought he had something that would work. I am willing to spend a few $$ and let him give it a try. When I see results (if there are any), I will let you know if the chemical is effective and what it is.

Ken

Starkville, MS(Zone 8a)

I received an email from my local Mississippi Extension Service. The Service director has continued to search for information concerning this (Slime Mold) lawn problem. She has been in contact with a Mississippi Extension Service Plant Pathologist (PhD) and he says he thinks my neighbor and I have Nostoc, an algae, not Slime Mold. He wants to drop by and examine what we have, diagnosis the problem, and kill/control it. He says IF it is indeed Nostoc, there is an experimental chemical that he has access to and he would like to use our two yards as test sites.

I will let you know what happens.

Ken

Laceys Spring, AL(Zone 7a)

Interesting, Ken. Never heard of that. Always learning something, aren't we? Do keep us posted!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.