Veggies to start now outside?

Munster, IN(Zone 5b)

I think I will go ahead and start some veggies in plastic boxes,to transplant later to cups, to control for weather. I was thinking of lettuce of course, but wonder what you all think about beets and peas? I have heard they don't like to be transplanted, but I have struggled with too wet, too warm, too cold etc the past 2 years. I did not get good crops, in the case of the peas, no germination at all; and see this as way to control for conditions - as blomma said in another post -can move and or cover as needed.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Radishes I'm getting ready to plant , they grow all right here , they will come up on their own when ready , early , easy usually .
Lettuce will frost burn below 20 degrees , When it stays above freezing for them , as doing here ,
My onions are showing signs of life so a week or two those also I will try .
Have you tried germinating the peas in the fridge , on paper towel , (yes Deno method )
If you set the root sprouts out on a 40 degree day , or with warmer earth raised in the garden , it seems to be the same as not moving them ? Try a couple in succession to teach yourself when to plant out ?
Peas are such a small plant to start with , stringy stems , at least as far as when I have tried them . Which has not been often ,

First are peach tree cuttings, Working early making a watermelon set , onions starting to show green

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

With onions doing that and figuring the Spring moves north at five miles a day .
I would think 3 or 4 weeks for you ? , as to your zone . The supposed frost free here is April 15 average . Still does often after that here , but as you are saying your cold weather greens take frost and even taste better in the cold weather .

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.