Balsam Fir Confirmation

East Bridgewater, MA

I'm pretty sure this is a balsam fir based on the cone and soft needles. My question is why are the cones hanging down - aren't they supposed to be pointing up on firs? Is this just bred to have its cones pointing down?

Thanks as always.

Thumbnail by neefman Thumbnail by neefman Thumbnail by neefman Thumbnail by neefman Thumbnail by neefman
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

'Fraid not . . . it's a Norway Spruce ;-)

Resin

East Bridgewater, MA

That is a better match isn't it? I'm used to seeing them 150 feet tall, not medium sized. It's not really drooping.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Quoting:
It's not really drooping.

You may be referring to tertiary branches on this species, which tend to be descending in habit.

The tree you've shown is relatively young - not even medium sized - and doesn't yet have appreciable tertiary branching that would appear to droop.

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

Rank amateur that I am, the ID'ing of conifers in my region has caught hold of me, too.

Seems conifer planting must be like any other interest, and have fads with particular species becoming popular the way there are fashions in names or just about anything. Once you look over the many hedges of arborvitae, there seem to be legions of Norway Spruces everywhere in town and all equally large and mature. Even the European silver beeches are not as commonplace as yard specimens, but the poor Norway Spruces must have lost favor -- the large newly built homes have nothing of the kind. Either there aren't many young seedlings or the babies truly don't remotely resemble the mature tree.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Show us some pictures of what you are describing. Then, we can help ID what it is you are observing that is not Norway Spruce.

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

OK but what I mean to say is that the apparent Norway spruces tower above the property boundaries in amazing uniformity. I do occasionally see young conifers, likely spruce or fir, that look pretty sparse but always from a distance, and usually you can tell if a piece of property has been planted with diversity of plants in mind, and those are the ones I try to emulate. Not sure I know just where I've seen the sparce looking youngsters. Sometimes I'm figuring I've spotted a Japanese white pine, and I remember where one of those is found. The p. marianas in Maine are so lovely, I've wondered why there aren't more of those around here.

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

Quote from RosemaryK :
The p. marianas in Maine are so lovely, I've wondered why there aren't more of those around here.

Black Spruce (P. mariana) is common in northern Wisconsin swamps & bogs, but they look sickly. It's definitely a conifer for cool and moist conditions.

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

I was afraid that was the reason. Guess I'll have to travel north to visit them.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Serbian Spruce is surprisingly similar to Black Spruce in appearance, and a lot more heat tolerant.

Resin

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

If I had to choose one spruce to grow it would be omorika. I can't recall where I read this, but Serbian spruce supposedly grows wild in a very small geographic range, which seems a bit odd considering how tolerant it is.

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

Thanks. I must be on the right track then. I passed on the black spruce witches brooms because of lack of knowledge when ordering some 4" conifers to coddle. Definitely love the look of the Serbian Spruce.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.