New Gardener I am

Columbus, OH

I have grown maples for 3 years and 1 of them had an injury to the bark but it did not go into that growing part so it could heal itself and it did. However I haven't grown fruits or veggies or herbs or grains and I want to grow all those since my mom and I are pretending to be on this new earth. I found out the minimum distance between plants for the standard grown from seed fruits and veggies and here they are:
Apple: 30 ft
Orange: 25 ft
Lemon and Lime: 8 ft
Blueberry: 5 ft
Raspberry: 2 ft
Blackberry: 4 ft
Strawberry: 1 ft
Cherry: 10 ft(this works for both sweet and sour)
Grape: 6 ft
Asparagus, cabbage, broccoli, and cucumber: 1 ft
beets: 5 in
green beans, leeks, and sweet potato: 6 in
carrots, garlic, and shallots: 4 in
cauliflower and eggplant: 1.5 ft
celery and peppers: 10 in
corn and lettuce: 8 in
onion: 2 in
peas and radishes: 1 in
potato: I don't know, perhaps same as sweet potato
pumpkin: 16 in
tomato: 15 in

Now I have a few questions.
1) What are the minimum distances between plants of these herbs and grains:
Herbs:
Thyme
Oregano
Basil
Parsley
Mint
Grains:
Oats
Wheat
2) My momma and I want a bountiful harvest of all of these so what is the minimum number of plants of each type I need?

3)Do I even need to take the maximum into consideration?

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Oregano can grow to be a good sized plant, perennial , I would say 10 -12 inches .
That is what I would try as mine grows to be about a square foot width .
Others I don't know , I cram my Basil into 8 -10 inch pots 4 or five plants , 3 did a little better last year ..
Good info from you thank you ...

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Potatoes; a sweet potato, like the white ones grow on mounds- but! A sweet potato needs @ least 4'x8' to spread. The white ones are spaced more closely- maybe 2'to 3' apart depends how soil composition is.
Herbs- in the warmer climates I keep mine trimmed back to no more than 2' square-- it holds soil from erosion and can form a mat of roots thick enough they are impossible to dig and seperate. Basils can throw their seeds 3' or 4' so the types need seperated by long distances. Again, here in the south, in ground, my basils reach 6'hi and at least 3'wide by winter frosts- some aren't as large, but we allow ours to grow for the bees. When you decide what types of these plants you wish to grow, the packages you choose will tell you spacing for that plant.
Mints are also part of the same family as Salvia and Basils, but can be more aggressive and spread farther by underground roots as well, so also must be seperated from each other and their famlies. In Ohio your ground gets colder than ours, many of your plants will not grow til soil temps are at least 40*, and many will not grow til temps are 50* in the soil. Practice is the best policy with plants, and not loadin yourelf down with too many to start with.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Quote from kittriana :
Potatoes; a sweet potato, like the white ones grow on mounds- but! A sweet potato needs @ least 4'x8' to spread. The white ones are spaced more closely- maybe 2'to 3' apart depends how soil composition is.
Herbs- in the warmer climates I keep mine trimmed back to no more than 2' square-- it holds soil from erosion and can form a mat of roots thick enough they are impossible to dig and seperate. Basils can throw their seeds 3' or 4' so the types need seperated by long distances. Again, here in the south, in ground, my basils reach 6'hi and at least 3'wide by winter frosts- some aren't as large, but we allow ours to grow for the bees. When you decide what types of these plants you wish to grow, the packages you choose will tell you spacing for that plant.
Mints are also part of the same family as Salvia and Basils, but can be more aggressive and spread farther by underground roots as well, so also must be seperated from each other and their famlies. In Ohio your ground gets colder than ours, many of your plants will not grow til soil temps are at least 40*, and many will not grow til temps are 50* in the soil. Practice is the best policy with plants, and not loadin yourelf down with too many to start with.

Pueblo, CO(Zone 5b)

Thyme varies with variety, I would say 1 foot minimum for Mother of Thyme.
Ditto Basil, maybe 15 inches for standard but there are dwarfs.
Parsley 6-8? for curled, maybe 10? for flatleaf

I haven't grown the grains but I know oats are tall. I think it would depend on how much trouble you have with storm damage (lodging). You may need to crowd them to prop each other up.

I guess this advice comes too late for this year, you have already figured it out. Look at spacing in a book on square foot gardening, then remember you can get them even closer by off-setting your rows so you have triangles instead of squares.

Krosno, Poland

For growing healthy fruits or veggies we should take care not only about distance between plants but also about conditions. There are a lot of factors that influence on their’s vegetation. We should remember that traditional crop growth done in open fields has got one disadvantage. They are exposed to different, sometimes extreme weather conditions, thus making the growth seasons limited in time. You can lengthen the growing season by introduction of indoor crop growth, done mainly inside greenhouses and polytunnels. This solution can be very helpful. All constructions are made out of high quality parts that will protect greenhouses, hot houses, polytunnels and high tunnels for many years. Besides, they are easy to install on location and easy to maintain.
More information here: www.krosagro.com/index.php/pMenuId/301/langVer/2

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.