Austrian Pine?

East Bridgewater, MA

2 Needles per bundle, long and thick needles that bend reasonably well, cone I think matches. is this church tree an Austrian Pine?

My flash wouldn't work for some reason so sorry for the poor exposure. I was exposed to another #$^&*%$ snow squall though.

Thumbnail by neefman Thumbnail by neefman Thumbnail by neefman Thumbnail by neefman Thumbnail by neefman
Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

I'd say you are right on that one, too - Pinus nigra - though I would have liked to see a clear image of a dormant bud. That's another good separating ID feature.

That appears to be quite the unhappy tree...

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

It's messed up, but seems to have some vigor about it.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Crown shape looks more like Japanese Black Pine Pinus thunbergii. A clear pic of a cone would help, though won't be easy to get with no low branches.

Resin

East Bridgewater, MA

I will stop and get a good pic tomorrow. If it's sunny my 300 mm zoom will show every wrinkle.

East Bridgewater, MA

I'm leaning towards Pinus thunbergii with these cones. Aren't Austrian Pine cones longer?

Thumbnail by neefman Thumbnail by neefman Thumbnail by neefman Thumbnail by neefman
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Yep, Pinus thunbergii, and yep, Pinus nigra cones are usually a bit longer (or narrower, if this short).

Resin

East Bridgewater, MA

Thanks. I have an Austrian Pine right near me so I'm going to compare the cones side by side for practice.

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

Cone structure is a pretty amazing thing. I take it whether a cone is upright (i.e. Abies) or flaccid (i.e. Picea) has an influence on cone structure?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.