Nyjer seed feeders

Mesquite, TX

Opinions needed on the best type of feeder for Goldfinches please...
In year's past, I've tried Nyjer seed while trying to attract finches to my small backyard without much success. This year, perhaps because of the frequent and unusually cold and nasty conditions in DFW, I've finally attracted about a half dozen Goldfinches who are drawn to the one (commercial) sock type feeder I put up in late fall. Note that the feeder is regularly emptied and refilled with fresh seed if that makes a difference...
While the "sock" has finally drawn the birds I wanted to attract, it would seem that it also wastes a lot of the tiny seed since at some point, the seeds get wet and/or pack to an extent that the birds have a terrible time trying to extract seeds from the mesh sock.
Nyjer is relatively expensive compared to other seed mix(es) but I don't have an issue with that as much as the waste I seem to be encountering, i.e., if the birds can't readily access the seed OR the seed gets wet and yucky, they'll probably find some other location where food is fresher or more available or can be accessed with less labor on their part. For all I know, they may leave as soon as the weather gets better anyway but thought I'd see what others suggest.
Stay with the sock type feeder or switch to a tube type feeder that keeps the seeds dry and available? What has been your experience?
Thanks,
Steve

(Zone 5a)

By far, our Goldfinches prefer the sock feeders. One of mine has a plastic dome that protects against rain (when there are no winds) and it holds extra seed. We have so few GFs during the rainy months that I take this one down. We keep one sock up on the northeast side of our house, so for the most part it is sheltered from the prevailing SW wind and rain. I've never had the wet seed like you do.

In your case I would put up a tube feeder. Not as many GFs can feed at the same time, but it doesn't sound like you have too many.

Most of my waste comes from the slightly bigger holes the newer socks have, so more falls to the ground. My Juncos and Tree Sparrows have developed a taste for the Nyjer. We also have GFs and House Finches that eat from the ground, so it does eventually get eaten.

I do not know if you want to go through the effort, but I recently learned that GFs really like native sunflowers, like Maximilian, not so much those mammoth sunflowers with the giant seeds. This is something I want to plant this coming spring, if I can find the seed.

I hope you find something that works for you.

Florence, MS(Zone 8b)

My goldfinch seem to like the BOSS as much as the thistle but I usually put up four sockfeeders when they are around. They also eat from all the other feeders, stumps and the ground.

Thumbnail by f_chisolm Thumbnail by f_chisolm Thumbnail by f_chisolm
Glen Burnie, MD

It took me several years to attract goldfinches but now I have them year-round. I put up one of those upside-down feeders, hanging from a side window awning (so I get to see them up close). It's a plastic tube with a yellow cap. It only has 6 ports & they're beneath the perches. I'm not sure but I think they make a longer one with more ports. Goldfinches can feed comfortably upside down for a long period. Chickadees can, but for a shorter time. I think nuthatches & maybe titmice can also. It's really funny to see other birds, like sparrows, land & look so confused. They look down at the GFs like, "How are you doin' that?!". I tried the sock feeders, but the sparrows, house finches & even starlings would hang on & tear big holes in the sock (with their larger beaks). With the upside down feeders, the GFs can mostly feed in peace. Good luck in attracting & keeping them; they're really sweet.

(Zone 5a)

carol, Your starlings must've been desperate for food. They and the house sparrows never have tried the sock feeders here. They sure have been trying my patience at other feeders, though.

I have a friend with the upside-down feeder and it was funny to watch the little GFs perch upright, then whoop, they went upside down. It is cute.

Glen Burnie, MD

It's a hoot in July/Aug, when the newly-fledged GFs first land on the feeder. Some of the babies will still have fuzz on their heads. They look down at the adults, all confused. Then they turn upside down, & sometimes lose their grip & fall off! It usually takes 'em a couple times to get the "hang" of it. :)

(Zone 5a)

I am tempted to get one of those feeders for the entertainment value. Haha!

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

They love the socks here, but also this type. It's easy to clean, both the top and bottom come off.
Also shown is the sock feeder with dome top. But honestly, when they are here in big numbers in the spring, they will eat from anywhere.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

By Jolly! I like both of those nijer's feeders Mrs. Ed. Last months I've had quite a few GFs hanging around, but the last few days looks as if they've left me. Carol, it is way too cool to be able to see GFs raising their youngs. When summer arrives, it's too hot here, I hardly see them here then.

Fairborn, OH(Zone 8a)

I started out with sock feeders but gave up on them because they got torn up so quickly. I also experienced excessive spillage with them, even before they got holes in them.

I had a metal mesh feeder for awhile but its misplaced and I can't remember how well they liked it.

The one they've been flocking to is a reasonably cheap tube feeder I got from Lowe's for under $15

Garden Treasures Plastic Tube Bird Feeder

Item #: 315971 | Model #: 19709

The above feeder gets LOTS of visitors now, but I had feeders out for almost 6 months before the birds found them - so be patient.

I also recently bought an Aspects mesh tube feeder for clinging birds such as goldfinches. However I currently have it filled with a seed mix (I almost NEVER buy seed mixes) which is being ignored. My guess is because of the high amount of canary grass seed in the mix. I misread the label - they listed sunflower hearts, canary grass seed, and thistle, but it is nearly all canary grass seed. A TINY amount of thistle and not much more sunflower CHIPS once I got it open. I will not be making that mistake again - back to buying only separate seed for me.

Thumbnail by ZenSojourner Thumbnail by ZenSojourner
Rowlett, TX(Zone 8a)

I had quite a few Goldfinch this winter (and still do right now, which doesn't seem normal) and had out one long 6-seat tube feeder and 4 socks. They eat the seed so fast, there was little waste. I also feed sunflower hearts/chips in the other feeds, and the Goldfinch really like that. But they have to share those feeders with the other birds, so generally they stay on the tube/sock feeders.

Carla

Columbus, GA(Zone 8a)

I used to use Nyjer, but it got too expensive, so I stopped. Now I feed my GOFIN's Black Oil Sunflower seed from regular old tube-type feeders and my gold finches seem to like that just fine.

Thumbnail by TheHackster

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.