Are there any truly stringless Heirloom/OP pole beans?

Fowlerville, MI(Zone 5b)

I'm looking for a truly stringless heirloom pole bean; is there such a thing? (I've found stringless bush beans but the yield is not as good as pole beans).
I know that if allowed to remain on the vine too long, any bean can develop strings, and I know that heat can play a role too, but what heirloom variety is known for being stringless???

This year, I'm planning a large "family garden" for our extended family of 18.....and I don't want to plant the wrong variety of vegetables! ....Wish us luck! ;) lol

Fowlerville, MI(Zone 5b)

Found it!! Going with Fortex! .....Thanks anyways for checking out my post. :)

Saylorsburg, PA(Zone 6a)

Also check out Emerite Pole Beans. They are often compared to Fortex, which is an excellent string bean, but my husband tends to lean towards the Emerite. The Fortex should be picked frequently or it will get really long very quickly. It will still taste great but we prefer our beans smaller. We think they have a better flavor when younger. Both varieties are superb so you shouldn't be disappointed with either of them. I purchased my Emerite from www.reneesgarden.com/seeds/seeds-hm/vegB.htm‎ She also has an excellent yellow French style called "French Gold" which we love. You will find other examples of Heirloom pole beans as well on this site to check out.
In the past I have ordered Fortex from Fedco.com. They have great prices and free shipping for orders over $35. Packets always seem generous to me.
I know you will enjoy whatever you choose but thought you might like to see some other possibilities. I am a big one on planting different varieties to see what I like best. Guaranteed, these will pump out great tasting beans all summer until frost! No more bending!! Good luck!

Fowlerville, MI(Zone 5b)

Thanks gardadore! I will check on reneesgarden, and pick up some Emerite too! :)

I bought my Fortex from Johnnyseeds.com I've been real happy with everything I've ordered from Johnnys. :)

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Gads, I haven't ordered from Renee's Garden in several years but always had good results with what I ordered and planted. I may try a couple of the beans mentioned above, Thanks.

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

I like Johnny's too.

Check out "Seeds from Italy" which is Franchi's distributor in the USA. They have some unusual chard and Italian lettuce varieties.

http://www.growitalian.com/
http://www.growitalian.com/categories/Vegetables/Beans%2C-Pole/

Two yellow pole beans:

Climbing yellow flat Roma Bean - Meraviglia Venezia (Miracle of Venice)

Pole Bean Neckargold - stringless yellow French bean

Saylorsburg, PA(Zone 6a)

Have any of you grown Neckargold? I love the French beans but haven't tried this one, just the "French Gold" (maybe it's the same thing with just a name change?), and Ramdor (Renee's used to carry it in the same packet as the Emerite). They are nice and long and thin and usually produce before the Fortex or Emerite.

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

I have not grown (or bought) it yet.

I see these comments online for Neckargold:

"Yellow-podded version of Neckar Queen."
"same type of bean as Neckarkonigin ... white seeded"
"long beans that start pale green and ripen to glowing yellow."
"Even the plants show up the colour, with bright yellow stems"
"they stay stringless even up to 8 inches long."
"Beware may come out green in some conditions!"
"long, oval to slightly flattened, white-seeded pods that are a gorgeous bright yellow color."

Southern NJ, United States(Zone 7a)

Our favorite pole beans have been Fortex, both due to flavor and production, but a couple of years ago they came in rather soft, holllow, and a bit moldy, so instead I tried a pole bean that I bought in France the following year, called Aiguillon. It was supposed to be stringless but it wasn't, and I'm going to have to end up throwing all my frozen packets to the chickens because it has an unpleasant mouth feel, no matter how much I cook it. I ordered Fortex again for this year but I've been reading comments about Emerite and thinking that perhaps I should try those next time. I'm pretty sure I grew them once a long time ago but it might be time to try them again.

I used to save my own seeds, but at that time I was growing both Fortex and Pelandron, a French bush bean with purple speckles that was very tasty and prolific. However the two varieties cross-pollinated so I was getting pole beans with purple splashes and with a chunkier shape, more like the Pelandron. I'll see how I make out with Fortex this year.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

I'm thinking to order Fortex this year. Any suggestions for a good seed supplier?

I really like Pinetree - superseeds.com, I think. Or Fedco is good, too.

Fowlerville, MI(Zone 5b)

I got my Fortex from Johnny's Seeds (http://www.johnnyseeds.com ) and I've been real happy with everything I've gotten from them. It's easy, because everything they offer that is a hybrid has a "F1" after the name. If it doesn't have "F1" then it's open pollinated.

This will be my first time growing Fortex so I'll let you know how I like them! :)

Chuckey, TN(Zone 6b)

In this part of the country (the South) if you start a conversation about pole beans you will get as many opinions as you have people in the room. I must have six different varieties of seed in the freezer waiting to be planted and now you have gone and thrown two more into the mix. Are these (Fortex and Emerite) good for canning and shell beans?

I freeze Fortex and it does well. I've never tried canning or shelling it, except when I shell them for next year's seeds.

Sunnyvale, CA(Zone 10a)

I've been growing (and saving) purple podded pole bean for years now:
http://www.seedsavers.org/onlinestore/bean/Bean-Purple-Pod-Pole-OG.html

Fowlerville, MI(Zone 5b)

Oh mmagin, the purple ones are so pretty!! How do they taste?

In addition to Fortex, I am also growing "Lazy Housewife", named because it was the first bean that the lady of the house did not have to remove the string. (Had to grow it just because of the name! http://www.seedsavers.org/onlinestore/bean/Bean-Lazy-Housewife-OG.html ),
the Vermont Cranberry Bean (http://www.johnnyseeds.com/p-6975-vermont-cranberry.aspx ), and
Pinto Beans. :)

Has anyone on here grown Lazy Housewife or the Vermont Cranberry Bean??

Sunnyvale, CA(Zone 10a)

Provided you cook them or refrigerate them immediately after picking (something I recommend with all beans eaten green!), they taste wonderful. Better than anything we've bought from farmer's markets.

They're a little easier to spot amongst all the leaves due to the color contrast. They cook to a duller color due to the purple dye being heat-sensitive, but anyone who tastes them won't care. :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.