Is this where the Hawai'ian gardeners hang out?

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

I'm looking for some Hawai'ian lettuce seed varieties. I have a tradelist and lots of things that are not actually on my tradelist. Maybe someone here can point me in the right direction if this isn't the right area. Thanks!

Erin

Keaau, HI

Some Hawaiian gardeners do tend to hang out here.

I think Manoa lettuce can be gotten from Aloha Aina seed co.

What were you looking for?

Aloha, Dave

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

Hi Dave!

I actually found seeds from the University of Hawai'i at Manoa available. I'm going to have to mail off for them, but I can get some at pretty reasonable prices too. I was trying to get Manoa and Anuenue lettuce. I'm actually going to try some cauliflower and onion as well. I'm hoping that they'll do well here in Florida!

Erin

Keaau, HI

Hi Erin,

Years ago (about 1986) I used to work for Patrick Tahl, who created Anuenue Lettuce, on his Kula Nui lettuce farm on Maui.

Anuenue Lettuce is a cross between Manoa Lettuce and Romaine Lettuce. It gets huge! You will need to give it an extra shot of nitrogen for it to develop well. It gets larger than most lettuce varieties and has more nutrition (a good source of vitamins E & C).

If cultivated well, it will get three times the size of Manoa Lettuce in the same time.

If these lettuces in your bed start to bolt, you can pinch off the flower stalk early, and the head will thicken out a bit. Once the heads are pinched you will need to harvest within a couple weeks.

I hope these varieties do well for you!

Aloha nui loa, Dave

This message was edited Mar 5, 2014 11:22 PM

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

That's cool Dave and awesome advice! Thanks! I'm actually going to be growing it on my Tower Gardens. So, it won't be in the ground. I'm just trying to experiment with new varieties!

Erin

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Cauliflower and lettuce are cool weather crops they should do well for you next fall and winter.

The Southern Exposure link above has good information. In FL you could grow lettuce for 3 seasons, but I don't think summer is one of them and as it is already 80 during the day it might be too late to plant for this spring.

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

I'm growing lettuce in my Towers. The best variety we've found for hot weather so far is one called Cherokee. It's a beautiful red variety, but I'd like to test other kinds as well. I can actually get away with growing lettuce in the summer with a Tower because it keeps the crops a little cooler. They're ready to harvest in about 4 weeks.

Erin

That's amazing, it would melt here. Do you grow it in the shade?

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

They are amazing! No, the Towers do best getting at least 6 hours of sun a day.

Erin

I don't know what you are doing but keep doing it. :-)

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

Just got my seeds from the university of Hawai'I! I can't wait to sow them! I'll have to share pictures once I get them going. I decided on manoa and anuenue lettuce, cauliflower and onion. I'm hoping they are good varieties for Florida too!

Erin

Keaau, HI

If your onions are the Maui Onion (Granex type) sow them ASAP as they will need 110 days of high light to get them to bulb out by Fall.

Good luck with your garden!

Aloha, Dave

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

Hi Dave,

The onion are Awahia Bulb Onion. It says they need 150-160 days! It's going to be an experiment here anyway. I've never had luck with onions!

Erin

Keaau, HI

In that case you might be growing onion sets this season, which get harvested in the Fall and stored, then planted at the end of Winter when the danger of frost has gone.

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

Yeah, I might. I guess it depends on mother nature!

Erin

Keaau, HI

Always trust your mother!

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

LOL! Yes, absolutely right!

Erin

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.